Architrave round sockets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you mount sockets on a non-fireproof material? I realise there is enough T&G out there and wallpaper to ensure such a reg would be massively flouted, but thought I'd ask nonetheless.

I have MDF panelling in one room, the design of this panelling doesn't have room to ensure plug sockets are only mounted in the middle of a panel. The singular plug socket in the room is mounted in a surface box, sunk through a panel onto the plaster. It looks rubbish, partly because it is not feasible to cut a perfect hole for a socket (all fitted by previous owners, I must add!)

One way I could improve the look when I add more sockets would be to sink galvanised boxes through panel and plaster, mounted straight onto brick. Then, glue architrave around the back box to make the box "flush" to the architrave, before fitting outlets.

I can't find anything in BS7671 against this, but is there anything that prevents sockets having a non-fireproof surround, i.e. wood?

(I realise this may not be to everyone's taste... I had considered sinking surface-mount boxes through the panels, but realised I would never get every hole perfect, and at least with architrave I can paint it to match the wooden panels)

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can put sockets in/on wood.

I don't really see the need for your architrave because the back boxes are slightly smaller than the sockets. This gives you a bit of leeway when cutting the hole.

Have just re-read the post. I think you're worried because you have a surface mount back box - this would need the hole cut perfectly - but, as above, the metal boxes are a bit smaller than these so sockets overlap.

It's more the gap between panelling and socket that concerns me... if I put some sort of surround behind the socket I've got a flat surface for plate to align to.

If anyone is considering panelling, make sure the flat areas are big enough for sockets to mount!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately because of the profile of the panels, the key issue is filling in the gaps... See the shoddy surface-mount-through-the-panel electrics currently in place:

So, I was hoping by fitting architrave around galvanised back boxes I could fill such gaps with wood and filler!

With the boxes sunk, the cable exit holes would be sufficiently below the level of the architrave for the cables (the box pictured is a 38mm box surface-mounted to the v. thick old plaster under the panels).

Ah I see what you mean now(not that your description was incorrect, it's just different to the picture i had in my head)
Erm well if you want double sockets, i think i would still go with dry lining boxes, cut the hole for the box(which is smaller than the socket) and knock out a bit of the wall behind to allow the box to sit flush, then offer up the socket, mark and trim the beading back to allow the socket to fit up to the box, you should be able to trim the bead back so it is a snug fit with the socket this way.
Or alternatively use single sockets in dry lining boxes in between the beading.
This all depends on how you want it to look though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back