Archway lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Ok in my house i have a living room seperated from the dining room by an archway, it used to be a door but was opened up in the 80's by a builder friend to a wide arch...

now i have had my reservations recently about wether or not it has a lintel, i have drilled small holes all the way up one side of the wall above the start of the arch hoping to hit concrete or metal but have not hit nothing just brick... what should i do to confirm it has or doesnt have support? Im a bit reluctant to chip off a section of render in case its in any way helping it stay up

Any help would be awsome

A

Sponsored Links
If it is still up, I doubt that it's going anywhere?
Was it a supporting wall?

Its supposed to be a supporting wall and the direction of the floor joists above do go in the right direction to suggest it is, i can only deduce it has a brick form arch in there but i dont want to strip render off to find put just in case

Any sign of cracking, sagging or movement? If not, why alter it given it's been up 30 years+?

Sponsored Links
There is a small crack in the render which i measured and marked about 3 years ago which hasnt got bigger, its what got me interested in what type of support it had

Its probably just your common render crack but it still concerns me a little

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back