are air bubbles below vinyl flooring acceptable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had vinyl sheet flooring (Avenue Expressions) installed in my upstairs bathroom. (The installer laid plywood sheet down first.) When he'd finished and called me to inspect, I saw some small air bubbles in the middle. He said not to worry, they'd disappear in a couple of hours as the vinyl stretched. They didn't and I called him back the day after. He turned up, worked on them with a smoother but I could see that there was no difference. His reply was, leave it for a week or so, if there was no change, he'd come and relay the flooring--whether he meant he'd relay with NEW vinyl or just pull up the old sheet and reglue, I don't know.

While I wait for developments, I've noticed that the whole flooring looks and feels a little "dimpley". The patch I had originally noticed (because the light from the window shines straight on it) just has bigger dimples. Yet the material itself (I still have the offcuts) is perfectly flat. The dimples have to be air bubbles.

Should the floor indeed be as flat as the samples in the shop (or my offcuts) or are these dimples to be expected?

Sponsored Links
air bubbles are not acceptable, especially if you've paid the installer to plywood and prepare the floor.

And what's more, you can see the line (a very very slight dip in the vinyl) where the two pieces of plywood below the vinyl meet.

Sponsored Links
They should be level, if not I used sander to level it off. I always used plenty of screws specially near the edge of the ply including glue preventing any movement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back