are all fensa windows date stamped?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been fighting with contractor for months to get fensa certificate which he claims exists but I've still not seen.

checked and they are not date stamped. would that mean they were not fitted by a fensa company?

also, he charged me 7100 for 20 windows. if they're not by a fensa reg firm what's the likely price they would have been?

thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Profile stamping was allways to do with production runs and BS details usually stamped every 500mm on sections ,to me the main two importances of your paperwork is:
Firstly without it if you move house you will need to get the installation certified again at a cost from the the local council so you can put the proper paperwork in the house selling pack.
Secondly it includes the Insurance Backed Guarantee which covers you even if the Window Company /Builder etc goes bust as its then taken up by the Insurance Company.
This is my slant as im a repair man and no longer deal with this side of the industry.
Anybody else want to add to this ?

thanks but i know all this already.

my question was that if my windows are not date stamped does that mean the glazing firm is definitely not fensa registered?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't of thought a date stamp on the extrusion has any bearing on whether the company are FENSA registered. The date stamp is put on by the extruder during manufacture and they are not and probably do not need to be FENSA registered, its the installers that need to be registered and they have no control over a date stamp being put on.

What if you had a small toilet window that used small sections of profile welded together, you could end up in a situation where none of the pieces had a date stamp on them so by your logic, if thats the way you're leaning would mean the installer isn't registered even though bigger windows in the property WOULD have this stamp which would in turn mean the installers ARE registered.

So no, i don't think it would make a difference

A fensa registered installer can fit you a window from B&Q or even something that your mate made in his factory. As long as it has low E glass and toughened where required that's all that matters. Fensa windows aren't date stamped. £7.1k would be the same whether fensa reg or not. It's only 2 or so percent of installs that get inpected at around £120 quid a pop. Easily absorbable through overall sales.

FENSA send the certificate strait to you and not the installer, so if it has been done you should have received it, although it can take up to a month to receive it. windows will not be stamped for fensa, the only stamps you will find on a window are manufacturing stamps with quality control info on and kite marks.

I wouldn't of thought a date stamp on the extrusion has any bearing on whether the company are FENSA registered. The date stamp is put on by the extruder during manufacture and they are not and probably do not need to be FENSA registered, its the installers that need to be registered and they have no control over a date stamp being put on.

What if you had a small toilet window that used small sections of profile welded together, you could end up in a situation where none of the pieces had a date stamp on them so by your logic, if thats the way you're leaning would mean the installer isn't registered even though bigger windows in the property WOULD have this stamp which would in turn mean the installers ARE registered.

So no, i don't think it would make a difference
I'm asking you instead of starting a new post as you seem to have a fair idea - I just had a discussion with the company who fitted my new windows in January 2023 and there have been a few issues, and they told me that the date stamp between the panes was not the date of manufacture of the window units but the date of manufacture for that seal and that seal alone.

Now I’m 99.9% sure that is utter nonsense but happy to be proved wrong – can I have your thoughts?

The frame has a manufacture date of December 2023 when the order was processed – but the date inside the windows is 04/2023 which I believe is April 2023 – some six months before I even entertained their surveyor.

My accusation is that they’ve fitted window units manufactured in April 23 and then built up the frame to suit these windows that I believe they had lying around – however the company claims all the windows were made to order.

What do you think?

The window suppliers I've known chuck out any old/miss -measured stock pretty quick, they don't leave it lying about on the off chance they'll be able to reuse it.

If your talking about the date stamp on the spacer bar within the glass units then thats very likely to be when the bar itself was made and not when the actual glazed unit was made. DG windows and doors are made to measure, and so are the glass units which only have a 10mm tolerance and will fit very few other frames so it is 99.9% impossibe units made 6 months earlier were used in your frames, in fact I'd put my house on it that they weren't

The window suppliers I've known chuck out any old/miss -measured stock pretty quick, they don't leave it lying about on the off chance they'll be able to reuse it.
All window manufacturers will have a mismeasure rack, these mismeasures are only ever good for new build extensions where openings can be created to suit, very often you'll see joe public off the street sifting through the rack looking for something suitable, never have I known a window in the rack to be the exact right size and spec for another job, a window that might be the correct size in height might be 20mm to wide, a window the correct size might have an opener on the wrong side, or it might be a chamferred/bevelled profile instead of ovolo/sculptured, too many variables because like I said they're all made to measure

If your talking about the date stamp on the spacer bar within the glass units then thats very likely to be when the bar itself was made and not when the actual glazed unit was made. DG windows and doors are made to measure, and so are the glass units which only have a 10mm tolerance and will fit very few other frames so it is 99.9% impossibe units made 6 months earlier were used in your frames, in fact I'd put my house on it that they weren't
Thanks for the reply - that fits his story then, so fair enough. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back