FENSA

Hi all.

I'm glad this thread from 2010 didnt die, as I am currently experiencing these problems.

Our windows were fitted 4 years ago prior to us buying the property by a well known double glazing company.

We have noted the significance of this problem lately, as the sagging of the brickwork above our windows has caused cracking in the mortar and allowed a significant amount of water through our wall.

With the 'ceiling' above our windows (in the window recess) having already come away due to the water, we are able to see quitre clearly that there are no lintels or trays on the external skin.

Having initially contacted the window company by phone they informed us that they wouldnt even speak to us as we had not transferred the window guarantee over.

As this thread has identified, this isnt a window issue itself, but the installation.

I'm not exactly sure the actual background of Sali's original issue, but agree, that if the requirement for lintels is identified prior to or when windows are installed then it is the customers bill to have them fitted.

In the event that the installer has failed to identify the requirement (as it seems is their job), which has then gone on to cause structural damage, then my view would be that they should now be responsible for all rectification work; removal of windows if necessary, fixing brickwork effected, fitting lintels and replacing the windows due to the initial negligence.

I am encouraged by the legal success above and would be grateful for any more thoughts and certainly anything worth including in the letter i am in the process of writing to the window company.

:unsure:

Sponsored Links
ive not kept up with this thread but some customers when getting quotes may not sign up with the guy who says you need extra work, over the guy whos says itll be reet (and is considerably cheaper)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back