are all tile adhesives thinset

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Sorry if I am being thick here but there more I read the more I learn but then the more questions I have.

I have been reading about sticking tiles with different stuff and thinset keeps being mentioned and how good it is, but what is it?

Are all tile adhesives thinset, ie is it just another name, or is thinset a higher quality adhesive?

I see latex mentioned, is it that if a adhesive contains latex it is thinset?

Sound like I should always go for thinset as it is better than ordinary adhesive, thats assuming they are 2 different things though, as I need you to confirm for me whats what here first.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thinset is just another name for a cement based powdered adhesive. So the powdered adhesive you get in bags is thinset or mud or glue or sometimes it's even refered to as adhesive. ;)
You want to be using a powdered adhesive on floors and larger wall tiles. For small wall tiles, a decent tub adhesive (pre-mixed) like Bal White Star or Bal Blue Star is fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back