Are bathroom extractor fans sensible ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I am just about to replace our worn out extractor fan in the bathroom. No problem, they are cheap enough but, me thinks, I have heated the room up so its nice and warm and now every time I switch the light on I'm going to bung that heat through the wall with any steam. Why don't I install a condenser like we have in the tumble dryer.
Is there such an animal, or is some smart so-and-so going to fabricate it and pinch my idea. :confused:

Sponsored Links
the fan is also there to remove any smells. particles of poo floating around in the air etc ;)

I believe that the rule is if you have no window you must have a fan.

Dimplex used to make a heat-recovery centrifugal ventilator with an inflow and outflow and heat transfer between them. Very quiet.

It was a commercial failure - nobody wanted one.

I got one from the stock clearance. :)

Sponsored Links
Fans in bathrooms are required under the Building Regs even if you have a window.

Heat recovery units are inefficient, and not cost effective or worth it in our climate.

The removal of the stale, moist air together with the small amount of heat is more beneficial than letting it remain

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back