Are dual-RCD CUs still being installed?

With regard to dual-RCD CUs in domestic installations, do you believe that ....

• they were installed until a few years ago, but are no longer being installed ("that era long gone")

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • they were being installed until recently, but no longer are being installed ("gone", but not long)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In view of what I think are probably misunderstandings in relation to poll I posted yesterday, I thought I would try another with more explicitly-worded questions, in an attempt to get a better view of whether folk believe that "the era of dual-RCD CUs is long gone".

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
In the last year or so I've had a reasonable amount of involvement with EICR's and the subsequent remedial actions. I reckon I've replaced or assisted with replacing at least a couple of dozen CU's from studio flats with 3 circuits to an extended 3 floor about 18-20 roomed property with 3ph supply. That large house and one other (3 or 4 bed house) were all RCBO, the rest have been 2 or 3 RCD CU's.

I don't think much of the last two options on this poll - I cannot vote on this because I personally don't think the choices are worded correctly in relation to real life.

In particular, I cannot agree with the statement 'They continue to be installed (that era not gone)'.

You can still do something on a small scale, but that doesn't mean to say you still living in that era.

Being in the minority does not really constitute an 'era', if there is a majority for something, the majority is more recognised as an 'era'.

I don't think much of the last two options on this poll - I cannot vote on this because I personally don't think the choices are worded correctly in relation to real life.

In particular, I cannot agree with the statement 'They continue to be installed (that era not gone)'.

You can still do something on a small scale, but that doesn't mean to say you still living in that era.

Being in the minority does not really constitute an 'era', if there is a majority for something, the majority is more recognised as an 'era'.
How about starting your own poll which is worded better?
Or asking the suppliers or the installers the proportion of RCBO's Vs MCB's?

Sponsored Links
Yes, maybe down to definition.

I voted 'no' in the other thread and 'continue to be installed' in this one because dual RCD CUs are still made, sold, acceptable, allowed and perfectly functional - albeit I don't do any work anymore. Plus there are millions still in place.

Therefore I don't think we/you are in the era of RCBOs yet.

Perhaps 'era' isn't the right word.

I am confused about the differences between 'a few years ago' and 'recently'.

A large job can take a few years.

I am baffled how something that was done until a few years ago can be of an era 'long ago' - yet something that was done until recently is of an era simply 'gone'.

Both options are 'gone', yet the emphasis seems to be on whether the practice is 'long gone', or simply 'gone'.

Gone is gone - and practices can be brought back, regardless of whether they are gone or long gone, so I don't really understand the point of this poll, as I believe the earlier poll to make a bit more sense.

Indeed, this month I installed a steel 6W wylex with one rewireable fuse and 2 MCB modules but I wouldn't even consider including it in any 'pattern' or 'trend'.

Indeed, this month I installed a steel 6W wylex with one rewireable fuse and 2 MCB modules but I wouldn't even consider including it in any 'pattern' or 'trend'.
That would suggest we are still living in the rewireable fuse era. :D

I can only vote on the third option, which states that yes, dual RCD boards ARE still fitted. The first two options imply that they are NEVER installed now, so I can't vote for those.

But the third option implies that although they may still be fitted, we are still living in the dual RCD board age, but I really wouldn't go as far as to say that. I cannot truthfully say we are living in the dual RCD cu era.

John's reactions to the outcome of the previous thread, and the comments at the start of this thread, seem to indicate that John didn't either agree or like the results of the poll - which I found surprising.

John's reactions to the outcome of the previous thread, and the comments at the start of this thread, seem to indicate that John didn't either agree or like the results of the poll - which I found surprising.
That genuinely wasn't, and for that matter still isn't after re-reading, the way I understood/interpreted Johns OP.

I am confused about the differences between 'a few years ago' and 'recently'.
You are getting very picky :)

If it helps you to ease your confusion, regard "recently" as meaning "within the last few years" - hence totally mirroring "a few years ago".

Kind Regards, John

The voting in the fiurst poll indicated that quite a few people were not interpreting the question in the way I had intended, so I explained my intention and invited people to change their votes. When that achieved nothing, I created this new poll with what I thought were clearer and explicit question, but you are now arguing about the revised questions, so there is clearly no way of pleasing you that I can achieve.

As I've written in the other thread, you have essentially turned this into a semantic discussion about the meaning of "the era of ..." - and that definitely was NOT my intention.

If you don't understand, the reason I started the first poll was because, as seems very common for him, flameport expressed his personal views/opinion in a fashion that would lead many readers to believe that he was indicating that dual-RCD CUs were no longer acceptable, possibly no longer 'allowed'.

Kind Regards, John

I voted 'no' in the other thread and 'continue to be installed' in this one because dual RCD CUs are still made, sold, acceptable, allowed and perfectly functional - albeit I don't do any work anymore. Plus there are millions still in place.
Exactly, and that is precisely how I had expected most people top vote, for the reasons you give.
... Therefore I don't think we/you are in the era of RCBOs yet. ... Perhaps 'era' isn't the right word.
As I've said, sparkwright seems to have turned this into a semantic discussion about the meaning of "in the era of ..." (and it was, of course, not me who first posted that phrase). It terms of my use of language, I personally would not say that we are "in the era of all-RCBOs" (let alone that the "era of dual-RCD CUs was "long gone"), any more than I would have said, a decade or so ago, that we were "in the era of the EV".

I'm really not interested in the semantics - only about what current practices actually are (and, in particular, what readers of forum posts should, and should not, see being said).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back