Are my floorboard still giving off dust?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dust allergy and decided I will throw my carpets away and restore my floorboards. After throwing it away I gave it the floorboards a scrape, hoovered it and wiped them down. These boards are really old btw and still have paint marks, blacks stains and other such stuff on them.

Anyway in order to see if floorboard restoration would work, I used celetape and covered all gaps including skirt boards. Now as far as I'm concerned the dust should have stopped coming up however I am still detecting a fair bit in the air.

before I started taping I knew there was a strong odur in the air and I don't think it was the smell of wood, perhaps some of those stains on the wood. After taping that smell reduced by about half.

1. Why is there still significant amount of dust in the air even though I have taped and hoovered the boards. is it likely there is still dust on the surface of the boards or coming through gaps even though they have been covered with tape?
I just used some simple brown tape but so long as there are no holes I see no reason why dust should come up.

2. If it is on the surface and I can't see it, how can I ensure it gets removed?

3. The wood is really old and i'm thinking maybe dust is coming up through the planks or maybe not since i can't see any holes. Anyway do you know what might be causing dust to come up when wood is meant to stop that.

There is no point me restoring the boards if it won't solve my dust problem.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
you will not get any dust at all from wood unless you sand it then it will not be airbourn as its to heavy and will soon be removed with cleaning

old houses are dusty you will get earth and crud from outside all the time so its a constant battle
you can get several kg off dust in a carpet if you don't hover it every few days

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back