Are old house PVC double-glazed windows/frames OK for sheds?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I might be able to get my hands on some "old" but perfectly good PVC double-glazed windows and frames, like the whole unit they pull out of the wall when replacing them.

My question is, would they "work" in other settings and can they be built into a wooden stud structure without too much difficulty or would it cause more trouble than it's worth? I have no idea really how these modern frames are fitted and I am no expert carpenter. How accurate would my stud "socket" have to be to take one of these things? Has anyone used old double glazing units in sheds or similar?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
As long as the opening in the shed wall is the correct size then no reason why you couldn't re-use the windows. Shed frame would need to be 2" deep to accommodate the frame and it can be screwed straight in. The glass and/or openers would need to be removed first then re-fitted when the uPVC frame was in place. Most important is getting the frame in level and square.

Yes I've used old double glazed windows on various sheds, both upvc and timber frames.
The timber framework for the shed doesn't have to be too accurate, just stick some big screws through. You can fill round the edge with expanding foam/silicone etc but a wee gap for ventilation is a never a bad thing.

The only thing to watch is the size, most house windows are really a bit too large to suit a shed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back