Are SDS+ drills just for pros, or the new standard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a new drill (and jigsaw) for use at home to replace the crappy DIY store own brand ones I bought.
The chuck doesn't stay on any more. Last night it started to wobble and I only just managed to stop drilling before it came off.
I've got a lovely wide whole in the wall now to show for it :)

I want something thats going to last 5 years+.
Should I be buying SDS+ as the new standard or is a good chuck drill ok?
I'll probably be ordering from a Screwfix trade centre which have both
Bosch 2kg SDS+ Hammer and Bosch 750w Percussion drills at similar prices. My budget is up to £100.
I'd need to buy new SDS drill bits.

Sponsored Links
bosch blue (pro') will last forever.

1%5C68975.jpg

JamesA said:
Should I be buying SDS+ as the new standard or is a good chuck drill ok?
I've had my original blue Bosch SDS drill since 1980 or 81, so 26 years or so. That doesn't sound like a new standard to me! ;)

The thing about the SDS system is that it's not just a tool holding system. SDS drills utilise either a hydraulic (uncommon) or pneumatic hammer (the norm) action which gives a much more powerful hammer blow when drilling than an impact drill (the masonry drills which come with a conventional 3-jaw keyed or keyless chuck). All an impact drill has is a mechanical cam action - so they make a lot more noise and drill a lot more slowly (which means they wander off line more, too). SDS drills generally allow you to install a conventional chuck on an adaptor so you can drill metal, wood, etc and many SDS drills now have a feature called "rotation stop" where the drill doesn't rotate the tool but still has a hammer blow. That means you can chuck-up wall chasing bits (for sinling wrinig into plasterwork), masonry chisels, mortar rakes, tile removers, concrete points (for demolition), etc and do a whole host of jobs an ordinary drill just can't look at.

The Bosch GBH2-18 is currently £75 at Screwd-Up, whilst the Bosch GBH2-22RE with reversing as another £30. For another £15, though they are doing the Metabo KHE 24 SP which has rotation stop as well. If you look around there are some quality names (Bosch, AEG, Hitachi, Makita, Metabo, deWalt, etc) available with these specs but lower prices.

If you do go SDS and you'll get a much more verastile tool, especially if you have rotation stop.

Scrit

Once you've used an SDS drill you'll never want to use an ordinary hammer drill again on walls.

If you are going to be drilling into walls, the definitely buy an SDS. A branded corded one can be got for under £100.

This will not be the answer to ALL your drilling needs, however. For small jobs in wood, and for driving screws, you should budget for a cordless drill as well.

Cheers
Don

Sponsored Links
I got myself a makita SDSplus drill in a sale a few months back. Since then its hammered and chiselled its way through countless back boxes and channels. As a DIY newbie I couldn't even put a rawlplug in without messing up, this thing seems to make all the difference.

Well worth the extra money. Get a cordless drill/driver as well and you're laughing. Don't bother with a cordless hammer, you won't get as much for your money as with a drill/driver and you'll rarely actually need the hammer bit.

DonKiddick said:
Once you've used an SDS drill you'll never want to use an ordinary hammer drill again on walls.

Come to think of it i cant think of the last time i used a drill other than my SDS to drill a hole in masonry, even when ive got my cordless hammer drill in my hand i still go and get it from the van in preference!

Thanks, I'm going to go for a Bosch.
Is it normal for a chuck to fall off during use, or is this something dangerous I should complain about?

noseall said:
bosch blue (pro') will last forever.
But a Makita will last an extra day. ;)
Scrit's links have gone screwed up - the last two take you to Makitas now. :confused:
Incidently the Makita HR2450 is superb and generally comes with a couple of sets of bits. :D

JamesA said:
Is it normal for a chuck to fall off during use, or is this something dangerous I should complain about?
Er, no, and yes (respectively)

gcol said:
Scrit's links have gone screwed up - the last two take you to Makitas now. :confused:
Yes..... Ta, gcol...... Links sorted......

I agree with you that the Makitas are good machines. I see enough of them around. As to them lasting longer....... I think there's not a lot in it

Scrit

So Scrit, for a good SDS drill you recommend the Metabo m8? or have you another fav.

I've got an ancient Bosch 2kg SDS D-handle reverser, wish it had rotation stop as that's all it is missing, and a 3kg Atlas-Copco (now called Milwaukee) which has rotation stop and is bloody marvelous. A mate of mine has a couple of 2kg Metabos and they seem unkillable, too. At least you can see that the gearbox is metal on them. When I buy my next machine It will probably be a toss-up between Bosch, Makita and Metabo (don't like the yellow peril as much, maybe because the local dealer is a complete a**e) - and the decision will probably be on price because I doubt there's much to choose between them at around the £100 mark

Scrit

DonKiddick said:

You're not wrong there. I have a cheapo 5Kg one (Was £30, Ferm/NuTool/Whatever it was at the time) from Screwfix) which I bought for removing a whole house worth of plaster, but boy does it do a mean hole in the wall as well, not to mention concrete driveway (Fence post fixings).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back