Are silicone sealants all pretty much alike ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have usually just bought the 'trade sealant' but have seen various others, some 5 or 6 times the price I pay.

Is it worth getting the better type

I will be using white, to seal the corner of my tiles, as well as at the bottom, where the tiles meet the bath.

Thank you for any advice provided

Sponsored Links
No they can vary drastically doesnt mean that the most expensive is the best, they range from heat resistant, fire resistant to Low modulus some are specifically designed for bathrooms and wont discolour in damp conditions, for your requirements I would be looking at compatibility with installations where water or dampness is prone to be present

From my own experiences I have found the BnQ/Screwfix no nonsense trade sealants to be the best.

I've used Unibonds expensive range and all of these have gone mouldy after several months.

However I have had very few problems with the No Nonsense range which is surprising considering you can get a tube for less then 2 pounds, whereas the unibond range are often around £10 a tube.

This stuff has been superb....

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...JC0nbvCJ2vQyG4Q7sWn2!-904103408!1362174166718

Sponsored Links
Dow Corning every time........ :mrgreen:

+1

+2

Worth the xtra... can be worked longer than most others and lasts longer too.

Had to redo an IronNaz level of abortion on a bathroom for some friends; and made the mistake of getting them to source the right coloured mastic.

Never again. Took twice as long to get it right. Partly due to the size of the gaps the NazCheese had left, but also due to the quality of the carp provided.

Just thought i would throw in that 13 years ago whilst fitting bathroom suites on pricework i was being paid £8 to silicone around the bath.I always thought it strange that i could earn £8 in one minute:cool:

You will have a job to beat Dow.

I was going to ask the question but perhaps that link carries the answer?

My shower tray is fibre glass with a very high gloss finish. The two corner walls are tilled down to the edge of the tray.

I tried two different types of clear silicone ( dont remember which ones but both saying for baths etc. ) but neither would stick much at all to the shower tray. I was surprised at that because silicone I encounter on bath edges seems to stick like hell and is very difficult to get off at all.

So is it just that I need neutral cure ?

Or should I roughen the high gloss finish on the tray?

Tony

I tried two different types of clear silicone ( dont remember which ones but both saying for baths etc. ) but neither would stick much at all to the shower tray. I was surprised at that because silicone I encounter on bath edges seems to stick like hell and is very difficult to get off at all.

So is it just that I need neutral cure ?

Or should I roughen the high gloss finish on the tray?

Tony

Or is the tray moving every time you step into it? What's underneath it?

Did it have a protective film on it? :mrgreen:

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs Tony, but ensure it's properly clean, dry and free from grease or grout haze. Then your sealant will stick like ****, if it's Dow Corning. And if you think the tray is flexing a bit, put in a dust sheet and pile some bricks or other heavy objects (your wallet maybe?) in the corners.

;)

It came with a film which I removed.

How about roughening the surface?

Its on a wood floor but not flexing a lot.

But the lack of adhesion is obvious even before the shower is used after the silicone has set.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back