silicone sealant for waste outlets? white/clear?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
while i think of it - can normal white silicone sealant be used to seal a basin waste outlet? or is the clear type better for this? i have heard silicone sealant is much better than putty ... so for future i will remember and do this...

Sponsored Links
im quite happy to use clear.
but a plumber friend of mine with 20 years more experience than me will only use plumbersmate.

i used plumbers mate putty before and i had a leak - alhough i used a cheapy plastic waste outlet and a plstic washer!!! then i changed it to a metal one with a rubber washer and it was fine.

never buy plastic cheap wastes is what i learned!!:)

just wondered if sealant was better than putty for leaks and quickness...?

Sponsored Links
I fitted a quality Clicker waste in my new basin. It leaked first time it saw water. I was advised to remove washer in sink and apply a large "sausage" of white putty. This also leaked, but after a week the leak has disappeared. Maybe helped by the putty setting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back