Are slate nails supposed to come out easy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m slating a front door canopy. I’m not a roofer I’ve not done this before.

I’ve nailed some slates in. The merchant sold me aluminium ones (he offered the choice of cheaper copper and something else more expensive too so I went in the middle).

I had to remove some slates to move a batten. I was really surprised how easy they came out. Is that normal?

I’ve only done some slates so I even noticed one nail on the edge slate has come out a little bit itself, perhaps during some wind.

Will the weight of all other overlapping slate keep it all down, once I’ve finished it?

I did ask the merchant if I should screw then they said no.
So I’m really worried they’re not secure enough but I don’t think I’ve done anything wrong.

I haven’t use hooks on the bottom of the slates to hold them down. If I knew how easy the nails were to come out I may have done that.

Sponsored Links
Alloy nails don't hold well but should be fine on the porch.
Ideally you would use copper clout.
Screws a definite no need.
You will find some slate suppliers won't honour a gaurantee unless copper is used .

So copper holds better? I’ve only done about a quarter. Perhaps I should go buy some copper ones for the rest. It’s just he said they’re the cheapest so I just assumed the more they cost the better they were, so copper must be the worse!

I’ve looked online and other sites say copper is expensive. So maybe I got mixed up somewhere. Either way I chose the middle priced option but wish he did tell me copper would be better. I think I might use copper in the rest if it holds better.

Sponsored Links
In my coastal area they used to use bronze nails with copper washers.

Now gone over to stainless.

Yes you got it wrong .copper works out more expensive .
You get a lot more per kg in alli compared to copper .

Aluminium sounds an odd choice for making nails out of, I'm surprised you can get them in without bending.

Aluminium nails are usually for concrete roof tiles.
Slates are fixed with copper or galvanised nails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back