Setting out new Slate roof help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to slate a new roof for a shed I've built. It has a lean to roof and the slates I am using are 500mm long and 250mm wide. The holes are pre drilled 190mm down from the top.

QUESTION? - Is it correct or incorrect to have the top edge of the slate resting on the next batten that slate above nails to?

Should the eaves course rest on a tilt fillet instead of the facia?

Sponsored Links
Thanks ners very useful info in there pretty much answers most questions. I'm going to have a play around with the over lap to see what works out best then but will need to call and find out the recommended guage it mentions.

The problem I have is the width not working out correctly. My slates are 250mm wide,even if I buy the 375mm (1.5 bigger) for the verges because my wall to wall verge to verge without overhang is 2480 or 2530mm if I add an external door frame.

Using them size slates would come to 2500mm or 2625mm with the 1 1/2 slate. That would be to much over hang at the sides And that's without 3mm gaps.

In some circumstances do you need to cut slate?

Sponsored Links
Yes you often need to cut slates at 1 of the verges. To do this we would normally use chopper/hammer and break iron. You would probably be best to buy some slate cutters from a roofing supplier or you could cut them with a grinder if you have one, but a grinder will give you a flat cut not a dressed edge as the other edges are.

edma slate cutters or edma guillotine are easiest, freund slate hammers/slate knifes and breaks for the more old school way

Thanks guys. Does the slate cutters or guillotine give a feathered edge or a straight cut? I have a grinder but could maybe buy or hire some cutters if better finish.

Slate size 250 x 500mm

I've laid my slate out and with 110mm overlap like in the quote guidelines I got with the slate. Spaced like this, it would allow the top edge of the slate to half rest on the next row of battens I'm attaching the 2nd/3rd/4th etc row to.

There would be 200mm showing, 110mm overlap and 190mm from the top edge to the holes. If I was to reduce this over lap to say 80mm, the slates top edge would not rest on the next batten up so in this case would I just use an extra row of batten meaning twice as many overall and a pair of battens running quite close parallel. Is this correct?

they give a feathered edge if you cut on the back of the slate, cutting on the back gives the feathered edge on the front of the slate.
am not avoiding your lap questions, just sometimes it is difficult to work out what people are asking without actually seeing the job.

Thanks Ners. No problem I know it can be complicated to understand what others have been looking at for hours :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back