Slate roof redone, does this look right?

Every diagram I have viewed seems to show zero kick or a base course and slate above as kicked out (by the fascia board) and courses above this are flat with the remaining slates.
Took a drive round our area to look at other roofs. All the dry verge systems we saw had zero kick, only the old mortar/wet verges had any significant kick out.
diagram from fixmyroof.co.uk;
Ok, I expect the kick was already there but not so obvious, If he has made no changes to fascia heights then that is the case. Assuming, He stripped back to rafters, new underlay, new batten the reslate.
It is correct to say that all the slates should run down in line with no kick. I'm guessing that flank joins into your neighbours too? .
Dry verge systems.. You don't have a dry verge system its a bodge.

My personal preference would have been slate under cloak and a mortar bedded and pointed verge.

The lead hips There should be a timber mop stick (not arris!) to which the lead should be dressed closely and a clipping system in place . Yours are more or less draped over and nailed... I wont mention nail types in the slating or lead work.
There is a broken slate a couple of courses up and numerous cuts missing.

Little details tell me he had a little knowledge (very little) but just poor pride in his work.

Get the verge done and hips.

Sponsored Links
Our roof terminates higher than our neighbours.
flank.jpg

The ridge with the two combs are the same ridge that is uncovered in picture below.
flank-from-above.jpg

Thanks datarebal for the detailed advice.

no problem, a bit confused the last picture shows cement fibre type product..?
Natural slate one side, fake the other?

Sponsored Links
That's a whole other story!
When we bought the house the roof had partial sarking felt visible in the loft.
We can only assume, when our next door neighbour had their roof replaced, they also replaced some of our's to the ridge-line.
We were only able to see the other side once the scaffold was in place.
roof-split.jpg

Ok, I expect the kick was already there but not so obvious
Looking at a picture from a few months ago, the original slates are flat to the rafter. I'm assuming the slates further up are sitting on a bed of mortar. This is no longer the case. (I've tweak the sky in the photo to show the slate line better).
2018-05-verge.jpg

EDIT: to clarify this picture is from before the roof work was done.

Last edited:
did they fit an over fascia vent? have you a picture of the whole roof on this elevation?

There is no venting at all as far as I can see.

This is the relaying of the slates up to the verge in post #21
2018-07-19%2019.08.56-smaller.jpg

The image in post#14 shows the new verge from the same elevation.

Whole roof
WholeRoof(2018-07-23).jpg

Last edited:
Thanks these pictures reveal more, While the slates have been laid ok. first picture shows, cement fibre used as eave slate which isnt end of world i guess.
but! top of first slate is missing the batten and is free to flap around.
There is a batten missing each side of the hip running diagonally top to bottom, this will be why they struggled fixing hip cut slates.
naiing appears to be care free and many slates holed fairly close to bond line. galvanised nails are not ideal.
they also appear punched through from the top rather than correctly holed from the back of the slate

Also just noticed that the bottom two battens are non-BS 5534 battens, is this not mandatory?

Just seemed weird that all the other battens were graded and the first 5 results from searching on BS5534 suggested it was mandatory.
from https://www.roofinglines.co.uk/blog/what-do-roofers-need-to-know-about-the-bs5534-changes
Are you Complying With the Updated Standards?
If you tile or slate roofs, you need to understand the updates to the British Standard for Slating & Tiling – or BS 5534. The new standard, which was introduced on 1 March 2015, is mandatory and any roof now must be installed to the new standard.
My bad, admittedly after reading some more it appears it is not a legal requirement.

Poor! those slates nave been nailed in the water shed marks.
How is it possible for the first slate to miss the baton!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back