Are these air vents necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1920 end terrace brick house without cavity Walls. Every room in the house has at least one air vent about 7ft up the wall. Some of my neighbours have bricked these up saying they are no longer needed because we don't have open fires anymore. Is this assumption correct?

I know I must retain the air bricks that airate the space under the floorboards but would like to do away with the ones in the rooms because they are so drafty - but I don't want to cause future problems

Sponsored Links
Try sealing them up with some rigid plastic and tape and see what happens, if you get through the winter without any condensation issues then fill them in.

i always get rid of them ...as said there were when there was open fires ...i usually knock off the plaster vent thing and dot and dab a peice of plaster board and plaster skim

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I usually have to seal them up in winter - living on top of a hill when the north wind blows could blow granddads toupe off otherwise :)

I've not had any condensation problems - so I guess the trowels can come out to play at the weekend

i certainly was not suggesting any air vent for under floors which are required in the building regs be blocked ..just the ones which are not in any way ventilating a cavity and were there only because open fires were an original feature ....one of my properties (the one i'm living in )has had this done over 10 years without damp /condensation / mould and i have done the same to the current and past renovations where they were fitted also

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back