Are these walls ready to paint / paper? (Pictures inside)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I am looking to paint one side of my room and paper the other side.

The below two walls will be painted. I am planning on first putting up lining paper and then paint so I wont be painting directly onto them:

4vuXmZn.jpg

JIx6ado.jpg

Will this work or do the walls need a re-plaster?

The next few walls is where the wallpaper will be going up. No preparation here apart from clearing whats left on the walls and repairing that hole then paper direct on them:

9UxWAWB.jpg

6laV8jF.png

uAb6s0P.jpg

Finally I need to get the below hole fixed and was thinking of using one of the below two (any recommendations?):

Ronseal Multi OR Lightweight Polyfillai

9fHfQKD.jpg

Thanks for looking guys!

Sponsored Links
I would fill and feather any uneven surfaces, a couple of mist coats with a matt white emulsion will show where a secind fill is required, and line all the walls. Then start decorating.

I would fill and feather any uneven surfaces, a couple of mist coats with a matt white emulsion will show where a secind fill is required, and line all the walls. Then start decorating.
I second that. Also recommend using easifill with a 12 inch caulking blade, no need to line the walls then.

Thanks for the replies guy.

So you would say I should even line the walls where I am putting paper up? Isn't that putting paper on paper?

Also what would be best to use to fill and feather any uneven surfaces + the hole I have.

Are any of the two I linked to any good?

Ronseal Multi OR Lightweight Polyfillai

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
I dont use lightweight polfilla, a basic type powder filler built up and sanded down works for me and my customers. As suggested a good filling knife or plasterers trowel will do the job,

A couple of coats of blinding emulsion, then its up to you if you want to cross line, going by the photos I would suggest cross lining to a customer before wallpapering. This would depend on what the finish was like after the blinding coats,

Thanks again for the reply.

So let me get this right:

1. Repair damage to wall using a powder or ready made filler I am probably going to get Ronseal Multi

2. Paint ALL walls with "blinding emulsion" (not too sure what this is do you have any recommendations on which to use)

3. Then either cross line or don't cross line depending on state of walls correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back