painting over pattern wall paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello guys.
bit of advice please, i have bought a house which has light patterned wall paper on all the rooms. i am thinking of painting directly on top the existing
paper but concerned the pattern will show through?

any tips on what paint/colour i should use as basecoat or am i better off
stripping the paper?

thanks in advance
al

Sponsored Links
strip the paper... the seams will show irrespective of what you paint on top & it will look plain horrible. (The voice of experience talking!)

The problem may be that if you strip the paper you may find the walls a rubbish - and have to line them again with paper. It's your call really.

Sponsored Links
cheers guys. just to clarify. it's not the seams i'm worried about, just the floral pattern on the wall paper. a collegue told me if i use a very dark colour such as black as a base first, then i should be able to pain another colour on top?

don't know which is worse, the above or as jo90 said strip the paper and might have to line with paper again? "rock and hard place" as they say lol! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back