Are Vented and Unvented Water Heaters the Same?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, don't explode into flames please. This is genuine curiosity and a distillation from crap I've read in other threads and forums and we all know that everything on the internet is true. And I'm only thinking of the sub 15l non G3 ticket electric heaters with a cold outlet close by.

What I know: Vented need open outlet taps to let any pressure build up drip out of the tap safely. Unvented need a PRV, check valve and expansion vessel and use standard taps.

Question: If the venting part of the equation is driven by thermal expansion that has to go somewhere safely, could a vented water heater be plumbed in with a PRV, check valve and expansion vessel to allow it to use standard taps?

I.e. are the water heaters the same but the vented/unvented just refers to how the pressure is relieved?

I'm hoping I can get a sensible answer from someone in the know without having my knackers toasted by someone too keyboard happy. My Plan B would be buying a couple of used ones from fleebay and a hacksaw and playing spot the difference.

Sponsored Links
And I'm only thinking of the sub 15l non G3 ticket electric heaters with a cold outlet close by.

No such thing any more - the sub-15l exemption was removed a couple of years ago

And no, vented and unvented are very much not the same thing. Unvented heaters are under constant mains pressure, whereas vented heaters sit at virtually zero pressure with a valve on the inlet side to drive the stored water out as required. If you try to seal a vented heater it'll most likely burst

Sponsored Links
And I'm only thinking of the sub 15l non G3 ticket electric heaters with a cold outlet close by.

No such thing any more - the sub-15l exemption was removed a couple of years ago

I had no idea. Anyway, I'm in Scotland and we have different building regs :)

And no, vented and unvented are very much not the same thing. Unvented heaters are under constant mains pressure, whereas vented heaters sit at virtually zero pressure with a valve on the inlet side to drive the stored water out as required. If you try to seal a vented heater it'll most likely burst

Thanks. Yes, that makes sense to me now I read it.

There are some sealed ones that do not require a safety group, they expand back into the main.
http://www.airconcentre.co.uk/redri...&network=pla&gclid=CNDLme3ymcsCFawy0wodOt8M8w

Ok. That's witchcraft. How on earth does that work??

Well I had a look at the Redring site, and the blurb is unclear. "The EW has been designed to provide stored hot water from a mains pressurised water supply, where there's no requirement for a temperature/pressure relief device, making installation simple." which sounds good excpet it also says it comes with a "6bar expansion relief valve" and the brochure says "EW supplied as unit only. Safety protection devices will be required relevant to the installation." so really the EW is a standard unvented heater.

Take it or leave it.
You asked for advice. I gave it.!

Yep, and thank you for taking the time to reply. I had hoped that the product you mentioned was something different, but now I've looked, it's the same as all the rest of the unvented heaters but if I hadn't looked, I'd have been none the wiser lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back