vented water heater question..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Been on a job with a non working, not wired up vented water heater.

Unit was fitted but leaked water so was never powered up.

Fixed the leak but the unit is plumbed into a (what looks like) standard mixer tap.

Now I know you have to vent them, ethier with the STD spout or with a vented tap (expensive)

Now the question, can I plumb in a 3 bar pressure relief valve (or similar )into the hot output pipe to act as the pressure relief and keep the tap plumbed in as is?

Thanks.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Why do you say a vented tap is expensive? Just take the guts out of the existing one so it won't shut off...

What make/model is the heater? I would have thought putting a 3-bar PRV on it is asking for trouble

Why do you say a vented tap is expensive? Just take the guts out of the existing one so it won't shut off...

What make/model is the heater? I would have thought putting a 3-bar PRV on it is asking for trouble

Would just save hassle as it's plumbed in. Also the main tap is a standard stopcock and doesn't look obvious how to work it.

It's a redring ws7.

Connect as required by the manufacturer's installation instructions, probably available on their web-site.

End of.

Now the question, can I plumb in a 3 bar pressure relief valve (or similar )into the hot output pipe to act as the pressure relief and keep the tap plumbed in as is?

Did I understand this correctly?

You're asking if you can connect a vented water heater as unvented?

Are you taking hallucinogenic drugs?

Sponsored Links
Connect as required by the manufacturer's installation instructions, probably available on their web-site.

End of.

Did I understand this correctly?

You're asking if you can connect a vented water heater as unvented?

Are you taking halucinogenic drugs?

the unit it's compatible from 0.7 to 10 bar.

when being heated, if/when the pressure rises above 3 bar, the valve will pass releasing the pressure.

It should work in theory, why wouldn't it work?

It should work in theory, why wouldn't it work?

It should work, but there are too many things that could go wrong with it and it doesn't have the numerous safety devices found in an unvented water heater.

Do you have PLI and does it cover you for illegal and untested amendments to heated pressure vessels? I'd guess not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back