Arghhhhh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hate the position Im in, I feel like Im backed into a corner with Part P.

I know I need to get registered and I have the application form in front of me, however in order to have jobs for the scheme to come and inspect I need to be Part P registered, in order to be Part P registered I need to be a member of a scheme. Catch 22!

There must be others in my position and how do you get through this?

My initial thought was if I take on a couple of small jobs, ones that dont need to go through building control then the scheme can come and inspect them but then Im left wondering if when the scheme come out to inspect they dont take me on because Im only showing small jobs ???

Im also thinking what if I cock up part of the testing and they say they wont take me on, do they take my £400 and tell me I need to go on a training course and call them when I have achieved it?

Im looking at joining the ECA competent person scheme and looking for advice from fellow members

Sponsored Links
Why not take on one bigger job such as a new CU, notify building control, have them inspect it and certify it, use a green form or IEE download form for completing the EIC, and then use the job for your ECA inspection.

Also do a minor works job in your own home, e.g. add a spur in the lounge. Again, use a green form or one of the IEE website.

Job Done !

On the testing front, just take your time, consult your notes if you are nervous. If you don't feel ready then go on a course/study/practice.

If you fail the inspection then you will have to pay for a revisit £200ish I think.

fattony said:
... in order to have jobs for the scheme to come and inspect I need to be Part P registered, in order to be Part P registered I need to be a member of a scheme. Catch 22!

Not Catch 22 at all. There is one principal way of notifying work and that is through LABC, just as other trades have had to for years and years.

Self-certification is an exception, via a competent persons scheme, accorded to individuals who have been assessed and found capable. This route applies to certain other trades too and is not specific to electrics.

So, as equitum has said, bite the bullet and use building control, because if you show two minor works you may well become registered, but with a limited scope. (BTW, your assessor is not even going to ask if you have notified the work - it's not his concern.)

dingbat said:
(BTW, your assessor is not even going to ask if you have notified the work - it's not his concern.)

hmmm interesting are you sure dingbat?

Sponsored Links
fattony said:
dingbat said:
(BTW, your assessor is not even going to ask if you have notified the work - it's not his concern.)
hmmm interesting are you sure dingbat?

The assessor is not a building inspector. His job is to assess your sparkin'. In the full knowledge that many jobs go unnotified, assessors understandably don't want to open that particular wormy can! (However, not notifying is an offence with a big potential fine attached.)

I was nearly at the end of a full rewire, so I took him to that. He didn't bat an eyelid.

Prior to becoming registered I was working my jobs with a friend whose uncle is registered. His uncle did the necessary as it was family, so we were in a fortunate position.

But the main point is as has already been said the inspector in my case didn't even enquire into sensetive areas. He studied our workmanship and our design. He only found one thing wrong but didn't make us change it, as it is just one of those many grey areas you see discussed here to death, just gave us useful suggestions for the future.

So don't worry .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back