ECA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im considering joining either ECA or NICEIC but the stumbling block is having a substantial job for them to be able to inspect, kind of a catch 22 situation I need to be registered to be able to do the work or I have to swallow the cost of building control notification as if you add that onto a job your probably not get the job.

This is the ECA requirements:

The installation work must be work you have done yourself and not work you have carried out whilst employed by another company. Work carried out on your own property is acceptable or alternatively work that you have notified through the Building Control Department can be assessed. The site must have a substantial amount of work carried out such as a consumer unit change or ring and lighting circuits or a full rewire.

I assume work in a commercial environment would be acceptable but generally to work in a commercial building they require you to be in some kind of scheme.

Am I expected to pay to notify a job through BC then pay ECA the annual fee? Do any schemes allow you to do 1 job which they inspect on the understanding your application and work is satisfactory?

Sponsored Links
Most would do something at home, is your board 17th ?

Get the inspection done and retro raise the eic post passing the schemes entry / on site assessment.

Technically breaking the rules, but certainly that's what the NICEIC accept.
The assessor will not ask if you have notified the LABC.

Well my business partner has done a rewire for a family member without notifying building control (before everyone starts) the family member knew about part p and wanted it done on the cheap so it turned into a cash job, he doesnt plan to move so never saw it as a problem.

I know we could use this job but Im unsure how we could get away with no notifying BC do the work then when we're signed up to a scheme notify the job obviously dates will be a little different.

What colour certificate would be required to do that purple?

Sponsored Links
Maybe I'm over thinking the BC part of this, think I'll call ECA and NIC tomorrow and see which is more receptive

I know some people on here seem to have a problem with them, but IMO NICEIC are the best, and it is the name your prospective customers will be looking for.

I'd be suprised if anyone outside the industry has ever heard of the ECA.

I know some people on here seem to have a problem with them, but IMO NICEIC are the best, and it is the name your prospective customers will be looking for.

I'd be suprised if anyone outside the industry has ever heard of the ECA.

I second all that.

My company was with ECA but is now with NICEIC as 3 of our key clients suggested that they would 'require' it. It was simply easier to switch than to explain every time.

As for the assessment, I had changed a consumer unit with light circuits containing no CPC's (so made the necessary alterations) and changed a socket and that was enough. TBH if you can talk the talk back at the inspector they kinda stop inspecting and just chat with you.

before the part p caper my LA required NICEIC or ECA registered contractors, i think joe public have got a better idea or are more aware of the NICEIC as they seem to be publicising themselves where as the ECA dont seem to atall, or at least not that i have noticed.

I personally think your right and think it plays a big part in the decision

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back