Part P and notification to LABC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In a months time I'll be carrying out work for the in-laws (gratis :evil: ).
It will be notifiable work (power to new garage) so I'm going to have to go through building control.
I've never done this before as my company are ECA registered (I'm, a QS) and do our own Part P registration via website).

So, what's the exact process?

Contact LABC to pre-notify I'll be commencing work and what it will entail, pay the fee (how much?), carry out first fix, LABC come and inspect and give me the go-ahead to complete.
Do they then return to test and issue an EIC? I'll obviously be testing my work and completing an EIC of my own.

Sponsored Links
Seems from past postings that all councils operate different schemes as they are still getting to grips with it. Don't phone just walk in and ask reception to see someone from Building Control. They are public servants and are very accessible.

In our neck of the woods they operate a 2 tier system. A diyer wil pay £290+ and for that he will get 1st and 2nd fix inspections and testing.

In my case I was able to show I was competent (showed certs) and was charged £66. All I had to do was fill in the BC form and pay the fee. No visits at all from them, you send in your EIC and a week later or so the customer gets their compliance cert.

Obviously my cheaper rate is due to the fact that their input is purely admin. I have seen other postings that indicate an entirely different system......some cheap some exhorbitant.

In my case I was able to show I was competent (showed certs) and was charged £66. All I had to do was fill in the BC form and pay the fee. No visits at all from them, you send in your EIC and a week later or so the customer gets their compliance cert.

Obviously my cheaper rate is due to the fact that their input is purely admin. I have seen other postings that indicate an entirely different system......some cheap some exhorbitant.

Now that's more like it, a very sensible approach.
Will have to have a chat with them. Thanks.

My LABC officer refuses to accept my status as qualified electrician with 20+ years experience. He asked me if I could prove my qualifications. I told him I could fax him my certs. He said they could be forgeries.

[I asked him if a potential employee came for an interview with him & showed him his certs as proof of qualifications, would he accuse the interviewee of presenting forgeries???]

He is only prepared to treat me as a complete novice. I have to pay 400 ish quid, provide detailed plans of every part of the installation, allow him to inspect "every inch of cable". But, he will only make a maximum of two visits, no more & cannot "allow" me to do the work over a couple of years.

Further, I have to pay an additional fee for I&T.

I know it's all complete lobbocks, laughable really. But how many people are being told this & believe it?

To55er....

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, and there we have the other side of the coin :(

Maybe my JIB card may come in handy? It's a photocard with qualifications listed including C&G 2391.
Worth a try I suppose.....

Gary, its probably worth its weight in gold, its also probably worth its weight in crap. Its only when its presented at collateral and accepted that it has any value.

The common thread in all these posts is that each LABC seems to make up its own rules to suit itself and ITS NOT RIGHT.

Like many of us we have spent a lot of time getting properly qualified and spend heaps of £££££££ being members of recognised bodies (Part P) with all the additional expense this involves. This effort is worthless if councils can Teflon their responsibilities.

Does anyone disagree~?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back