LABC insisting on Part P qualified to issue PIR

But the fact that a building notice was made before the works was started, would that not entitle the householder to ask the council to come and do a final inspection and testing themselves?

Also I remember reading somewhere (maybe the ODPM part P website) that if an electrician goes bankrupt then the correct procedure is for another electrician to do a PIR.

What I'm looking for is something official looking/sounding rule so I can 'scare' the LABC into accepting my PIR.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As already said the LABC seem to be a rule to themselves. I also had problems and since my degree was to hand and I was not sure where my C&G 2391 was I showed them the degree which they accepted as prof I was qualified.

Knowing what was taught in the degree they were really wrong to accept that as it had no bearing on house hold electrics at all.

But I would take your C&G 2391 with you and also C&G 2382 likely they will be more interested in 2382 than 2391 as likely they have heard of 17th Edition! Even though it should be other way around.

But the fact that a building notice was made before the works was started, would that not entitle the householder to ask the council to come and do a final inspection and testing themselves?
They will have inspected the work during its progress. Under the Building Notice procedure they can ask for further proof of compliance. Building Notices are risky, and save no money, so I don't know why anyone would bother. Also you don't get a completion certificate, so the fact that you wrote this:
Can the LABC insist that a PIR should be for a whole house, when the reason it is needed is so a building notice completion cert can be issued for an extension.
means that it wasn't done that way.

Sorry for forgetting that earlier. So we are back to the original question - what was said on the full plans submission about the way that compliance with Part P would be ensured?

And we're back to the fact that you all have to recognise that if your client did not do what he told them he would then the council are now calling the shots.

What I'm looking for is something official looking/sounding rule so I can 'scare' the LABC into accepting my PIR.
I give up.

There's nothing in the Building Regulations which says that only registered electricians can do PIRs because PIRs don't come within their scope.

Conversely there's nothing in them which says that councils have to accept a PIR from anybody, registered or not, after the event. It's up to them how to deal with notifiable work which was either not properly notified, or was not done as planned, or in some way wasn't done how they wanted.

Given how they play fast and loose with the rules and guidance which do exist and ignore what they are supposed to do, when it comes to areas where they are free to make up their own policy then the chances of arguing them into submission are pretty small.

Basically all you can do is to challenge them to show you where the law says what they claim, and when they fail hope they don't shrug and say "Nevertheless....".

You either don't believe me (which is fair enough), or you don't like that answer so you don't want it to be true.

Maybe somebody else can explain it to you.

Thanks
Morning tilla tech. This post is addressed to you alone.

This is my understanding.

Work done on extension under building notice which was issued within the past three years. Extension complete (including all wiring) and people now living in there.

Building Regulations 2000 apply, that's the law, official enough I hope.

Completion certificates
17. - (1) A local authority shall give a completion certificate in accordance with this regulation and as provided for in paragraph (2) where -
(a) they receive a notice under regulation 15(4) or (5) that building work has been completed, or, that a building has been partly occupied before completion; and

(b) they have either -

(i) been notified, in accordance with regulation 14(4), that the building is put or is intended to be put to a use which is a relevant use as defined by regulation 12(1); or

(ii) been requested, in accordance with regulation 14(5), to give a completion certificate.

I assume the LABC has been informed the work has been completed and they have been requested to provide a completion certificate. So by law they are required to provide the certificate.

Your PIR is actually irrelevant as they should have inspected the electrical work anyway, it's part of the building, all extensions have electrical work, a bit like all extensions have doors/windows/foundations/walls/roofs, they should have inspected those. Why not the electrics?

However the fact they have PIR and are still refusing to issue a certificate is appalling. Public service for you.

I hope all communications were in writing :)

Sponsored Links
Morning tilla tech. This post is addressed to you alone.
Does that mean that nobody is allowed to comment on its inaccuracies and omissions? You should use the PM facility if you want privacy in your communications.

Oh well - it's irrelevant anyway - tilla is clearly determined that he shall only get the answers which suit him, and is clearly determined to throw good money after bad by spending even more time on this than he already has by doing the PIR in the first place.

The idea that he should end up doing battle with LABC on his client's behalf is ludicrous - even if he should win (IMO most unlikely) how many hours will he then have spent on all of this, just for the price of a PIR?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back