Extension done, no eic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a bit of a nightmare situation regarding electrics done In my new extension.
The electrics in my extension were done by a friend of a friend who is a qualified electrician who works on commercial buildings. He has completed all the work and advised me to get a PIR done by an electrical firm and send the certificate to building control.
Building control come round recently to inspect the drains and whilst talking he mentioned that a pri will not be sufficient and instead I will need an eic instead?
Now I’ve been reading on the web and it looks like some building offices will accept a PRI and others will not. What are my options on getting an eic?
The walls have been plastered however the no flooring has been put down. Am I able to get an electrician to inspect all the work an issue an eic?

Sponsored Links
Not unless your lucky.

No professional and qualified spark will want to sign off work that he has not carried out himself.

The electrics in my extension were done by a friend of a friend who is a qualified electrician who works on commercial buildings.

Obviously this friend of a friend was not however part of a scheme which allows him to carry out domestic electrical installations. Otherwise he would have issued the relevant certs and done the testing himself.

would i have to get another spark to re-wire?

You get another spark to rewire it, but realistically and practically, he wouldn't rewire as it would be too much effort, and in some ways a waste of time if it's ok.

You may be lucky and he's prepared to take a few things apart, check everything, then pass it off as his own, if he's satisfied with the way it's been installed. Not the right way, but there are people out there who would do that. No electrician or yourself will want to rewire it if it's plastered.

The best you can do is contact some electricians and hope for the best.

If the first electrician couldn't do a certificate, why didn't he arrange for someone to do it for him?

Sponsored Links
The electrics in my extension were done by a friend of a friend who is a qualified electrician who works on commercial buildings.

Then he should know that it is his responsibility to issue either an Installation Certificate or a Minor Works Certificate as appropriate and required by BS7371.

Possibly the reason he is refusing to issue any paperwork is because he hasn't declared what you paid him to do the work to HMRC?

Look
Please understand

Building Control are asking for an EIC to confirm that the work complies with BS7671. They have not necessarily asked for it to be notified through a 'Part P' scheme.

Your friend's friend has done the work and obviously tested it. There is nothing to stop him completing an EIC and you submitting it to Building Control.

Completing an EIC will be what your friend's friend does every day, surely?
If he is
a qualified electrician who works on commercial buildings

I really can't believe any electrician does not realise that to get a completion certificate you will need an electrical installation certificate and he will also know you don't have to be a scheme member to issue an electrical installation certificate. Unless he has PLI then if something went wrong you could try claiming from him if there was a fault and to issue an electrical installation certificate allows him to enter limitations which would reduce the chances of you being able to claim and it would be in his interests to issue one.

The fact he has not issued one brings into question his workmanship.

I find it very hard to understand why a qualified electrician would not issue certificates appropriate to the work he had done.

Got a bit of a nightmare situation regarding electrics done In my new extension.
Is that what you told Building Control would happen when you put in your application?

He has completed all the work and advised me to get a PIR done by an electrical firm and send the certificate to building control.
Absolutely not.

He did the work - get in touch with him and tell him that he must issue an EIC.

If he says no, ask him why he is unwilling or unable to certify that his work complied with the Wiring Regulations.

If building controls are inspecting the work, can we assume the work has been notified to them? If so then get the installer to issue the certificate!
Then all should be okay, an EIRC or PIR in old money is not sufficient for new circuits.

If building controls are inspecting the work, can we assume the work has been notified to them? If so then get the installer to issue the certificate!
Then all should be okay, an EIRC or PIR in old money is not sufficient for new circuits.

Or just wait a few months when this installation won't need a certificate if its simply been an extension to an existing circuit and not a new circuit.

The problem is that it's been done. And it's part of a larger project. So it has already been notified.

Notifiable in it's own right or not, it still has to comply with Part P, so for LABC to issue a completion certificate they will want proof that it does.

The problem is that it's been done. And it's part of a larger project. So it has already been notified.

Notifiable in it's own right or not, it still has to comply with Part P, so for LABC to issue a completion certificate they will want proof that it does.

The periodic inspection should go some way to do this shouldn't it? You can determine cable specs from resistance values, elfi etc should all be checked as part of a pir.

Under the new rules, non notifiable building work i expect will not need a seperate labc certificate, that could include conservatories up to 30m2!

The periodic inspection should go some way to do this shouldn't it? You can determine cable specs from resistance values, elfi etc should all be checked as part of a pir.
But if, in this case, the LABC will not accept an EICR then the OP will not get his completion certificate without an EIC.

Under the new rules, non notifiable building work i expect will not need a seperate labc certificate, that could include conservatories up to 30m2!
This extension was done under the old rules, and looks like it's basically finished before the new ones come into place. The new ones are not retroactive anyway.

It sounds like a mine- field on this one :cry: :cry:

From my part it’s not a issue of cost as i just want a completion certificate. Everything else has/will be passed by building control so it seems a shame to not get the completion certificate.

I spoke with a solicitor friend of mine today who said that normally he advises a pir/eicr test report if no completion certificate is granted on electrics and if the buyer is not happy with that then indemnity insurance. He said all insurance companies are fine with a pir/eicr.

I think I will get a pir/eicr done and then see what the building control say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back