EICs

S

sparkyspike

I have a friend who owns a small estate agents. He has been asked by EDF to provide an Electrical Installation Certificate for a property that has been empty for 3 months. Now, I was under the impression that EICs can only be issued when installation work has been done, and cannot be used just to verify electrical safety and compliance with BS7671. I would have thought a PIR would be appropriate. Have I got this wrong?

Sponsored Links
EDF may think the property has been rewired or maybe the CU has been changed. If so an EIC is required.

A PIR is an "in service" inspection & report.

Well, this would mean that the EIC can only be completed by the original installer. If there has been work done, then it hasn't been certificated. However, I am under the impression that the only reason EDF are asking for an EIC is because the property has been vacant for a certain amount of time, not that any work has been done.

He should have an EIC from the last time work was carried out, or if none has been done since it was installed, then the initial EIC should be given.

If you don't have one, then a PIR is probably the next best thing.

Sponsored Links
In that case I agree with you and I would issue a PIR. At the end of the day, you probably know the certificate procedures better than the person from EDF who requested the wrong one.

Just out of interest, why are EDF involved? Did they disconnect the supply for some reason?

I'll have to find out. Trouble is though, EDF want an EIC before they will turn the power on. If an EIC is not available, then there's no point issuing a PIR (I've just realised) as there's NO POWER with which to complete some of the tests.

So, if the estate agents have a property with no power and no existing EIC, then they have a problem. Surely this happens all the time? :confused:

Does it not say somewhere the frequency of inspec and test on a domestic is every 10 years OR a change of occupancy maybe the house is being bought

You could measure your R1+R2 and your Ze (if you can access the service) to give your Zs so you could possibly do the tests dead...

I'll have to find out. Trouble is though, EDF want an EIC before they will turn the power on. If an EIC is not available, then there's no point issuing a PIR (I've just realised) as there's NO POWER with which to complete some of the tests.

So, if the estate agents have a property with no power and no existing EIC, then they have a problem. Surely this happens all the time? :confused:

If there's no power to do the tests for a PIR then there is still no power to do them for an EIC!
Have you spoke to EDF yourself? Ask your mate for the name of the person he spoke to and speak to them. I'd have thought a PIR is all you can issue unless you are doing some work.

Again, I'll have to find this out. Perhaps the installation was unsafe. But much more likely is that the bills weren't paid.

Whatever the reason, I think it is odd that EDF are asking for an EIC for a property that has had no power or accupancy for 3 months.

I have told the estate agents that a PIR can be issued once the power is on, but apart from that I can't see what can be done about an EIC.

I've just received an email from my friend at the estate agents. He claims to have found an electrician who is willing to issue an EIC for him. It is not the same electrician who did the original installation. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sounds like someone got someone else in on the cheap. Might serve as a wake up call to the Estate Agent who should know better.

A PIR with calculations for the relevant parts is perfectly OK, though it may not be accepted.

I would agree with you here. I suppose an electrician could issue an EIC simply by changing an mcb or something. The trouble is though, they probably wouldn't be able to assess the installation process (wiring methods, mechanical protection etc) properly. Plus there would be no power to complete the tests. IMO, an EIC like this would either have a lot of holes in it, or be partly made up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back