Extension done, no eic

Council jobs worths.
How about council employees who are employed to ensure that laws are obeyed, and who are quite open, before work begins, about what they will want to see as proof that the law has been obeyed, and if asked will be very helpful in advising?

Your dismissal of them like that is ignorant and stupid.

Sponsored Links
I spoke with a solicitor friend of mine today who said that normally he advises a pir/eicr test report if no completion certificate is granted on electrics and if the buyer is not happy with that then indemnity insurance. He said all insurance companies are fine with a pir/eicr.
Did he also say that those indemnity policies are not valid if you have already drawn the non-compliance to the attention of the council?

I think I will get a pir/eicr done and then see what the building control say.
This is ridiculous.

Why will you not go back to the person who you paid to do the electrical work and demand that he finishes the job properly by issuing an EIC? Apart from actually filling in the forms he's done all of the work for that anyway.

Or at least you'd better b****y well hope he has.

Is there something about him, and the work he did, that you aren't telling us?

Perhaps there isn't a cat in hell's chance he will come back.

Spoke to the electrician who did the work and he said he cant issue the certificate as he is not part-p or registered with a body?

The chap is an electrician as he is always working on building sites? Do they require different qualifications on sites?

What are my options now? full rewire?

Sponsored Links
Oh checked my building regs form and it states that i do not want the council to certify the electrics?

Spoke to the electrician who did the work and he said he cant issue the certificate as he is not part-p or registered with a body?
That is nonsense.

He is the electrician who did the work.
He is the only one who can and must issue the EIC.

What he cannot do is arrange for the certificate of compliance.
The LABC can do this if they accept his certification.

Have you paid him?

I can't decide if he is (a) gormless or (b) gormless and trying to avoid declaring the payment for tax.

Providing the certificate is an essential part of doing the work to a reasonable level of care and skill. If he doesn't provide the certificate he's in breach of implied term of contract, and you can take him to court for breach of contract for your additional costs in getting another electrician to (re)do any works necessary to provide the certificate.

There is NO good reason for him refusing to provide this certificate and he is obliged to provide it.

Oh checked my building regs form and it states that i do not want the council to certify the electrics?
What, if anything, does it say about who was to have done the work, and how compliance with Part P would be ensured?

The electrics in my extension were done by a friend of a friend
Did you use him because he was cheap?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back