EICs

I've just received an email from my friend at the estate agents. He claims to have found an electrician who is willing to issue an EIC for him. It is not the same electrician who did the original installation. :confused: :confused: :confused:

I hope the 'electrician' understands he can't have any limitations at all so had better be confident that every millimetre of the installation is fully compliant.
If it hits the fan later it's his name at stake and his backside in court. Fool.

Sponsored Links
I would agree with you here. I suppose an electrician could issue an EIC simply by changing an mcb or something. The trouble is though, they probably wouldn't be able to assess the installation process (wiring methods, mechanical protection etc) properly. IMO, an EIC like this would either have a lot of holes in it, or be partly made up.

That's where the 'extent of the installation covered by this certificate' comes into play.

Does you estate agent friend want an EIC to cover the whole installation?

Thanks for all these quick replies. I'll speak to the estate agents again now that I've had a bit of clarification from you guys. You see, Sidmus, this is where forums like this can be of great use. :D

That's where the 'extent of the installation covered by this certificate' comes into play.

Does you estate agent friend want an EIC to cover the whole installation?

Well it's EDF who want the EIC. She doesn't even know what one is. I've checked twice that it is an EIC they are asking for. Best to speak to them myself to check exactly what they want. Why would they want an EIC for just part of the installation? In the past, they've only been interested in the earth connections and bonding.

Sponsored Links
The guys who energise/de-energise do not carry the test equipment needed to carry out the tests that need to be done to complete an EIC so I can only imagine that they want some clarification that the installation is in a safe condition before they re-energise.

Generally, if they are called out to de-energise it is because some work is being carried out that requires the installation to be dead - hence the work should have an EIC to accompany it - IMO its a fairly reasonable thing to expect.

Generally, if they are called out to de-energise it is because some work is being carried out that requires the installation to be dead - hence the work should have an EIC to accompany it - IMO its a fairly reasonable thing to expect.

I agree with this. Either no work has been done, or work has been done without an EIC being issued. In either case, if EDF want an EIC, they're not getting one! Not a bona fide one anyway. I'll speak to them in the morning and ask why the installation was disconnected.

Might serve as a wake up call to the Estate Agent who should know better.
I'm sure they know better.

I mean - what reason could there possibly be in the current climate for an estate agent with a potential sale to let his normally impeccable standards pf professionalism, honesty and integrity slip?

One option would be to disconnect the sub-circuits and issue an EIC for the tails and CU, the same as you would for a builders temp supply.

Once the supply is live PIR the rest.

Edit When I say builders supply I mean with one new RCD socket connected to the CU

Either no work has been done, or work has been done without an EIC being issued.
Or with the previous occupant long gone, it's simply been lost.

Our periodic labels have our company address and phone number on them. It may be worth having a look at the consumer unit to see if that's also the case with the previous electrical company. You could then ask for a copy of the EIC.
Unlikely to be that easy though.

One option would be to disconnect the sub-circuits and issue an EIC for the tails and CU, the same as you would for a builders temp supply.

Once the supply is live PIR the rest.

Edit When I say builders supply I mean with one new RCD socket connected to the CU

I suppose that's one way round it. But an EIC with no power will be incomplete. Ze and Zs will be by enquiry (nothing wrong with that) but no verification of RCD disconnection, functional tests etc. would be possible.

By the way - I'm not really looking for a solution to this as it's not really my problem. What I am concerned about though, is that I am saying an EIC is not possible and another spark is saying it is, and is willing to issue one. The estate agent just wants the power on, so now I look like the one who doesn't know what I'm doing.

By the way - I'm not really looking for a solution to this as it's not really my problem. What I am concerned about though, is that I am saying an EIC is not possible and another spark is saying it is, and is willing to issue one. The estate agent just wants the power on, so now I look like the one who doesn't know what I'm doing.

Show the estate agent an EIC and ask him how you could possibly put your name in the design or construction boxes. The only person(s) who can do that is the original designer or constructor.

I suppose that's one way round it. But an EIC with no power will be incomplete. Ze and Zs will be by enquiry (nothing wrong with that) but no verification of RCD disconnection, functional tests etc. would be possible.

All EIC's for new connections are the same.

You do the dead tests, fax a copy to the DNO, they take a peep at the EIC and then make it live. You then fill out the rest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back