LABC fees

14 Aug 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom
emailed two LABCs the following question


please could you give me your scale of charges for notifiable electrical works carried out by a person not being a registered domestic installer in one of the part p competent persons schemes?



The Building Regulation fee relates to the cost of work and therefore schedule 3 of the attached fees document applies. Please note that the person installing should still be qualified to the appropriate City and Guilds standard to install and test even if they are signed up to Competent Persons Scheme

Please find attached scale of charges for works carried out that require Building Regulations approval. The fees for electrical works carried out by a person not registered with one of the competent persons schemes are based on an estimated commercial cost of the work and can be found in schedule 3 of the attached document. These fees are currently being reviewed and may change in April 2007. In order to show compliance with the Building Regulations it is imperative that you contact the Local Authority to arrange a first fix inspection and that the appropriate BS 7671 installation certificate, signed by a qualified person, is supplied on completion of the work.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Comments anyone?
Sponsored Links
Ummm... :confused:

sounds about right dosent it!
Except, I believe, that it is LABC's responsibility to arrange and pay for the testing - either by doing it themselves or subbing it to a third party.

There is nothing in the Building regs or any other legislation that requires the work to be done by a qualified person (competent, yes, not the same thing!) and they cannot require an EIC from a qualified person.

Details in the Wiki.
I have recently submitted an application for electrical work to my LABC. It cost £55 +VAT flat rate for all electrical work.

I spoken to the building inspector and arranged the inspection schedule. He will visit to inspect the completion of 1st fix, then a second time to perform basic electrical test of the circuits before connection to the CU. This test will be sufficient for a completion certificate to be issued.
He did suggest that I get a PIR after completion as the tests required for it are more comprehensive then he could do, however this was not required for part P.

I am installing 2 final ring circuits (one downstairs, one in the kitchen), a cooker radial and external power to a shed.
Sponsored Links
My LABC charge more for bigger jobs, scaled by how much a pro would charge. I think the minimum is around £100

My take on it was that they would "inspect" the work, but it was whoever fitted its responsibility to "test" the work (which would clearly include inspecting too :))

My LABC guy said if I was capable of filling out an installation certificate correctly then no doubt I was competant enough to do the work. Not sure if that is sound practice, but I did feel more confident about doing the work than filling out the certificate :)
Where I live (London Borough of Lambeth) they told me they had no facility for notification, and the housholders only choice was to use an electrician registered under the competant persons scheme (Part P).

Luckily for me I am!


DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local