LABC Charges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A mate is getting a small extension built and has contacted his LABC (Warrington). They have quoted their charges and pointed out that using an unregistered electrician will incur an extra fee for I&T.

I believe that the cost of the notification covers I&T.
Is this still the case, or has this changed since 2005?

I'm registered, but am not taking this job. I don't want anybody thinking I'm scaremongering to ensure I get the work.

I am aware of Chapter 1.26 in the Approved Document, but am not sure how this is being applied. Also, as has been pointed out before, this is not the law. I do recall a mail being sent to each LABC pointing out that the fee was down to them, but this seems to be still being ignored.

Sponsored Links
it would depend on their pricing structure..

my local LABC charges a reduced rate for notification where the non-registered electrician will be able to supply their own certificates.
if the electrician is unable to do that ( or if the homeowner DIY's ) then they charge the full price to cover the I&T cost..

they are not supposed to charge extra on top of the normal full price..

I have heard about this before but they should not be charging for I&T.
It not the way it is done, they get a third party in at no extra charge to do this.
Are they offering it cheaper for you to I&T it or are they charging more if they do it?
If you understand what I'm saying?

It not the way it is done, they get a third party in at no extra charge to do this.
Are they offering it cheaper for you to I&T it or are they charging more if they do it?

I wish! Mine charges £200 and requires you to provide an EIC before they will issue a completion certificate. They require the EIC to be completed by someone competent - by which they mean someone who is a member of a part P scheme. They cannot get it into their tiny little minds that such a person would not be going through them anyway.

They WILL NOT do the testing themselves or pay for anyone else to do it. The only way to try to change that would be to take them to court.

Bunch of complete morons.

Sponsored Links

I wish! Mine charges £200 and requires you to provide an EIC before they will issue a completion certificate. They require the EIC to be completed by someone competent - by which they mean someone who is a member of a part P scheme. They cannot get it into their tiny little minds that such a person would not be going through them anyway.

They WILL NOT do the testing themselves or pay for anyone else to do it. The only way to try to change that would be to take them to court.

Bunch of complete morons.

Where I live they charge 135 GBP and I&T it, you can do the testing yourself, if they are not happy with result they will then retest but no extra charge, it's all in. Sounds like some council are different

Dave has summed it up - councils do what they like, no matter how unjustified, and basically take the position:

"That's what we do. If you don't like it, take us to court".

The cynical, lying, cheating, robbing b******s reckon that if you are doing actual building work you won't dare to do that, and know that they can successfully bully people into submission.

and people wonder why diyers don't notify electrical work.............

If the LABCs collectively got their act together, with a standard coherent notification system (that was the same across all LABCs) maybe diyers would be more inclined to notify for the purposes of Part P. It's an absolute mess at the moment with them all doing different things and basically what they want :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back