Part P inspection fees.

I've just read Dudley's Guidance notes on fees and the Part P section is a joke, especially Appendix B. Who is going to carry out the full EIC for the LABC?

Sponsored Links
Bradder5

If you are sure that your interpretation (Part P) of BC having to foot the costs, why don't you take up this with them - because if your interpretation is correct then aren't BC (strictly speaking) in breech of part P regulations and not you?

You could go on a mission on the behalf of all DIY'ers in this country and have a lawyer look into it and then if their decision supports your interpretation of part P costs being met by BC, then go ahead install it yourself and force BC's hand and have them legally test it for free.

Final option could be to train as a spark - probably would cost the same as your £200 for an inspection.

I don't know what some of the others are going on about - fitting a shower safely is not difficult for a competent DIY'er. or maybe someone might try to suggest it is.

Bradder5 said:
This is my gripe. I have no problem paying the £35 for the building notice application. Its the fee they ask for the inspection and testing after that is the problem. Section 1.26 of the approved document clearly states its the BC who must bear the cost of this.

The inspection fee applies to all inspections not just part p stuff.

For example if you change your windows yourself you have to give building notice and pay for an inspection. If you make any other alterations that requires building notice you have to pay for an inspection.

The thing BC aren't allowed to do is to charge you anything on top of the normal inspection fee in order to get an electrician in to do the testing.

Them having a scale of charges makes this a little bit of grey area but I still don't think you'd be able to legally challenge them (and win). Simply because there is nothing that says BC has to inspect work for free and more importantly a sliding scale of charges applies to other inspection fees too.

Why don't you give a building notice for changing a shower rather than installing a new one. Would that not then be minor work?

But there is something that says they are to inspect and test for free, its section1.26 of the approved document.

I have raised the issue with the helpline at the ODPM. I will await their response.

Sponsored Links
That is an old circular...

I have since been in touch with the LABC (the national one not local see http://www.labc.org.uk.

Spoke to a chap on their part p working group. He's says that most councils are in a right mess with this and are not up to speed. He said my interpritation of section 1.24 - 1.26 is correct and councils should not be charging a fee for testing and inspection.
He has however, no authority to tell my local council what to do, but my contact with ODPM should sort it out...
I'll keep you informed of the outcome.
Mike

Bradder5 said:
That is an old circular...

I have since been in touch with the LABC (the national one not local see http://www.labc.org.uk.

contact with ODPM should sort it out...
I'll keep you informed of the outcome.
Mike

Please do.

I have a complete rewire of a two bed house coming up shortly and it would be very handy if you can get your council to drop their fees.

Bradder5
A lot of advice given to your post, a lot to digest, or you could just take note from the 1st reply you got..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back