Part P Review

• Thread starter Johnmelad502
  • Start date
J

Johnmelad502

I have been told that there is to be a review of Part P in May of this year and they will be looking at:

• • Refining list of notifiable jobs
    • Amending guidance on inspection and testing
    • Adding guidance on accessibility of consumer units
    • Amending guidance on upgrading existing installations
    • Role of local authorities in inspection and testing
    Building control charges

Anyone know what might happen to Building Control charges, will they be making them more affordable depending on the

Sponsored Links
I cant see them being able to reduce charges as they are set by the local authorities unless they are going to dictate to councils what to charge.

Where have you obtained this info from?

I cant see them being able to reduce charges as they are set by the local authorities unless they are going to dictate to councils what to charge.

Where have you obtained this info from?

Don't know what happened to the rest of my post, seems to have gone missing after, "Depending on the"

I was on a job today and overheard two electricians discussing it. I asked them to list the items coming up for review which they kindly did.

The findings won't (so they said) be finalised until 2012. :rolleyes:

I have been told that there is to be a review of Part P in May of this year and they will be looking at:

Building control charges

Anyone know what might happen to Building Control charges, will they be making them more affordable depending on the

As I understand it, the reason behind the review is to try and standardise the approach Local Authoriities are taking toward Part P implementation, in particular relating to testing and inspecting and the charges incurred.

This transcript from the planning portal highlights may be one of the reasons why this review is deemed necessary.

Local authority inspection and testing of electrical installation work in dwellings
Where electrical installation work in dwellings is carried out by an installer registered with an authorised Part P competent person scheme (see Schedule 2A of the Building Regulations 2000, as amended), there is no requirement to submit a building notice or full plans to the local authority. Regulation 16A authorises the local authority to accept a certificate from the person carrying out the work as evidence that the requirements of Regulations 4 and 7 have been satisfied.

Where, however, notifiable electrical installation work is to be carried out by a person not registered with a Part P competent person scheme, a building notice or full plans must be submitted to the local authority. Under section 91 of the Building Act 1984 local authorities are then under a duty to enforce the relevant building regulations in their areas. Regulation 18 allows local authorities to make such tests as may be necessary to establish whether building work (including electrical installation work) complies with the requirements in Schedule 1 to the Regulations.

There have been reports that some local authorities are asking householders to have electrical installation work inspected, tested and certificated by someone other than the person carrying out the work. Section 33(2) of the Building Act 1984 (which would give power to local authorities to require persons carrying out building work to carry out such reasonable tests, at the person's expense, of or in connection with the work for the purpose of enabling local authorities to ascertain whether the work complies with the requirements of the Regulations) has not been commenced. This means in our opinion that local authorities do not have the power to require householders to retain an electrician to test and certificate the work in accordance with BS 7671. Local authorities which have adopted such a practice should discontinue it immediately.
"

I'm of the opinion that if it is standardised and LABC become responsible for providing an electrician to certify the work, this can only be achieved by the electrician supervising most of the work - otherwise it would be difficult for him/her to be able to sign the work off as meeting BS7671.

If this were to happen then I would imagine that the fee charged would increase significantly - unless an exemption is made to LABC employed electricians to test and validate other peoples work - which kind of defeats the object.

Sponsored Links
Anyone know what might happen to Building Control charges
Ask these people: [email protected]

HeadBanging.gif

Jony home me lad can you perhaps refrain from putting the annoying pointless animated gifs in. If you have an opinion about something words would be nice thank you.

What was wrong with the email addy to ask your question to, the addy of the people who can most answer it correctly??

Building control charges

mypic_1270143990.jpg

Role of local authorities in I&T, look forward to that! many an argument with them lol

as i understand it they have already revised part p. I received an LABC and ECA information sheet through the post about a 10 days ago informing me of the changes in how i register a job, and how to define the work i have done.

Part P says nothing about the process of notification, so I doubt that's it.

as i understand it they have already revised part p. I received an LABC and ECA information sheet through the post about a 10 days ago informing me of the changes in how i register a job, and how to define the work i have done.

Scan and post the doc's please :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back