Update on Part P from the ODPM

Sponsored Links
You can be negative if the supply is DC or neutral if the supply is AC....

pipme said:
Hi,

I suppose all this stuff will neatly (?) dovetail into the idea of a 'log book' being mandatory for a dwelling, another Govn Initiative.
Imagine the haggling on a sale .... no test certs for this and that ..
This is going to be expensive for the consumer.

What the Government are proposing, for legislation proposed for 2006, is that when a property is put on the market the seller must create a "Sellers Pack", and this will have to contain certain information, they are currently in discussions as to exactly what this will be and who will be allowed or responsible for the completion of the packs, but they are insisting that it contains at least one indate Gas Safety Check Report, One NEW Period Inspect and Test Report and the surveyors report on the building which the seller will legally have to provide from that date.

Personally I see this as a good thing, a home is the largest investment an everyday person makes, and they should have confidence that the home they are buying is fit for sale and occupiable.

Further, if the reports turn out to be inaccurate, the buyer and the SELLER will be legally protected as the creater of the reports will be legally liable, whether that be the surveyor, CORGI Inspector or Electrician doing the P-T&I. This will clear up the current grey are that exists in this area that allows people to sell homes in a shoddy state without any real comeback.

Hi,

Agree wholeheartedly FWL.

But I reckon we will end up paying a lot more for a lot of the same ... Those of us who are trying to do it right at present, that is.

Full building survey = big disruption, large cost .... Liability ?? mmm, I wonder.

P

Sponsored Links
pipme said:
Hi,

Agree wholeheartedly FWL.

But I reckon we will end up paying a lot more for a lot of the same ... Those of us who are trying to do it right at present, that is.

Full building survey = big disruption, large cost .... Liability ?? mmm, I wonder.

P

Initially this may prove to be expensive for the seller, however if when you buy a property it has a full report, you could keep a "log book" for you home, and although not required by law (for private owners) you could get a Gas Safety check done annually, as recommended, every five years have a Periodic Inspect and Test done, and every 10 years have a building survey done.

If these reports are kept in this Log book, then this means less expense when selling, and also it should add to the value as a well looked after and maintained home..You just know Estate Agents will bump the price due to the paperwork, so it would be financially beneficial.

The actual financial cost of these inspections would be minimal over the time frame concerned.

Question for you professionals - "installation"...if I ran a dead dead circuit around the house including Part P kitchens and bathrooms, did all the e/bonding, etc but did not connect up to mains and left access to all parts of the circuit....could/would one of you "competent" sparks come along and certificate me ??? :idea:

lepetitgue said:
Question for you professionals - "installation"...if I ran a dead dead circuit around the house ... but did not connect up to mains and left access to all parts of the circuit....could/would one of you "competent" sparks come along and certificate me ??? :idea:

I think you'll find you'll get the same response you get from CORGI installers who are asked to certify somebody else's work - a big fat no. The whole idea of a self certification scheme is that the installer is accepting full responsibility for his own work being up to regs. And what if somebody did agree to do it, but then failed your installation? It could end up costing you more than if you'd gone to an electrician in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back