Changes to Part P (Electrical safety - Dwellings)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Changes to Part P (Electrical safety-Dwellings) of the
Building Regulations in England

This Impact Assessment sets out the proposed changes to Part P of the Building Regulations and provides an analysis of the associated costs and benefits.

The proposals aim to reduce the bureaucracy and cost burdens that Part P imposes on installers, building control bodies and consumers, without undermining the improvements to electrical safety, installer competence and the quality of electrical installation work arising from the introduction of Part P in 2005.

The proposed changes would simplify the Part P guidance and improve compliance with its provisions.

This Impact Assessment is a supporting document for Section three of the 2012 Building Regulations consultation, which can be found below in the "Related publications" section.

http://www.electricaltraining.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,433.0.html

Sponsored Links
Thanks for copying and pasting that text from the communities.gov website - I was able to google for a nice long string, and find it right away.

Which is handy, given that the forum on your site which you link to isn't viewable by guests.... :rolleyes:

Link works now, but did not before.

Either way, looks like a total waste of time and money. Minimal changes for the good of nobody.

Sponsored Links
So abandoning Part P would have an almost neutral cost effect overall, and would cost 4 fatalities a year out of a population of 54m or so.

Therefore it is a bad idea to scrap it.

I wish I'd been the one paid to produce this report. I wonder how much it cost. Interesting that it seems to set itself up some more work to get paid for before we know what the recommendations for change are.

They seem to be under the misapprehension that DIY'ers will pay £250 for the LABC to inspect their work. Maybe with a full rewire but adding a socket in a kitchen I would not think many will pay the LABC more money to inspect than it costs to do the job.

Part P has stopped some of the chance takers who would charge for work but really did not have the skills. But it has not stopped the DIY work one only has to look at how many consumer units are sold by Screwfix.

The people writing the report are living in cloud 9.

They seem to be under the misapprehension that DIY'ers will pay £250 for the LABC to inspect their work. Maybe with a full rewire but adding a socket in a kitchen I would not think many will pay the LABC more money to inspect than it costs to do the job.
The savings would be achieved by taking out of the system the lowest-risk types of work –
namely minor alterations to existing circuits in kitchens and outdoors. Most other types of
electrical alteration work are already non-notifiable – leaving only alteration work in
bathrooms requiring approval

AS BAS has said, there was a conscious decison to stop recording the stats. This means nobody can dchallenge the safety claims.

I think the salient point in the document is.

The number of registered domestic installers whose competence is assessed would fall from 38,000 back
towards the pre-2005 level of 12,300 (as the absence of regulation would remove a key incentive to
register), resulting in loss of income to, and probably closure of, some of the existing Part P Competent
Person Schemes. Training bodies would lose income and sales of electrical test equipment would fall.
Suppliers of electrical products would need to remove references to Part P from installation instructions.

So, we can't scrap it as there are too may people with vested interests who will lose out.

ESC urges involvement in Government's Part P consultation

http://www.electricaltimes.co.uk/news/article.asp?articleid=6153

The Electrical Safety Council is urging all interested parties to put their views across to the Government and its recently launched public consultation on Part P of the Building Regulations for England, which covers electrical safety in dwellings.

But Part P will be amended it will NOT end.
There will be less notification and all this will come into force
on the 6th April 2013 ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back