Argos? Aow Gord!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a pine double-bed from Argos a few months ago, for use in a room to rent, and the occupant informed me that it had broken a couple of days ago; one might think "how do you break a bed?" but I didn't delve too much.
I rang Argos today and told the lad in the call centre that the centre rail and one slat had broken. (I felt I had a claim as the centre rail is made up of several pieces joined by bonded joints that appear as teeth, and that's where the break had occured).
I was told that they no longer supplied this bed, so, after a while they told me that as the frame and mattress had been supplied as one, I could choose another frame for the price of the old "frame", which according to them was £110. I looked on their website and saw them still advertising the previous bed frame, but at £139.99, which would give me more choice of equivalents.
So I phoned them again and told them I thought it wrong, that the price they would allow was part of a package that they do not now supply, but the price quoted for just the frame was higher. They would not agree, but decided to check the warehouse, and found one of the old bed frames still in stock, so they offered me the whole of the bed frame, provided I could allow the delivery men to take back the old frame - dismantled by me. So, considering there are twenty four slats, each having two screws, eight massive bolts, and six dowels, I thought this too was wrong. It would mean having to totally dismantle one frame, to rebuild another, because two bits of wood with two screws in had broken.
I finally got them to agree, to me purchasing wood up to the value of £20 to repair the bed and they will then refund that.
What a palaver!

Sponsored Links
Must be the number one problem with being a landlord, grown men jumping on the beds! ;)

I bet it was a bit alarming for the bed's occupants though, down on the bed and *SNAP* you're on the floor. I stayed in a hotel in Rhodes a few years ago where their idea of a double bed was two singles pushed together. With a slippery tiled floor it didn't take much to send one bed in each direction... luckily there was a conveniently-placed girlfriend to break my fall :LOL:

the larger the baps the better, mate!!

I'm having a bit of trouble with Aosrg at the mo. I can't find any stores within a reasonable distance who stock two items I need. I tried ordering for HD on the net and that lets me go through most of the oder process before telling me they can deliver 1 item (out of 3 total) only which, with delivery would double the cost of that item. The rest I have to re-order later with another delivery charge. How simply frustrating, Bunny, my good fellow, I thought.

So I rang 'em up and got told I could now order all items for HD. So I got home, on the net, order this, that house number, postcode, blah, blah. SITH! The item said "Out Of Stock".

All I want is a couple of brat monitors and a dustbuster!! I don't want monitors with wnayk flashing lights so Tomy & Fisher Price are out, and that's all I can find in other shops...

Why is buying so complicated? Or am I just a whingeing personage of no parentage?

That's just sleep depravation
baby.gif
making you tetchie Secure! ;)

How's it all going?

Sponsored Links
There were three in the bed and the little one said

Sdo off, Daddy!!

Yes, Rowan is in bed feeding as we speak, and I get a sliver of mattress enough to place one of Kate Moss's buttocks on.

Now, I've lost 2 stone recently, but still can't get into bed in this situation, so I've set up a single bed in the nursery, as Julie is adamant Rowan will sleep in our room (for "room", read "bed"!) until he is 6m old......so I'll blo*dy well have his soding room!!

She looks at me all doe-eyed and says,

"This is the last time we'll have a little baby in our bed, let's enjoy it"

Excuse me? "Let's enjoy it?" You mean "Let me enjoy it", surely??

Nah, not bitter. You're right. Sleep deprived.......

It's so bad that when I get home, I go up and if it's bath night, I fall asleep while bathing the kids, and if it's not bath night, I fall asleep reading William a story, sometimes, reverting to that crazy gobbledegook people sometimes utter in a half-asleep way.

Once, I was reading his book, drifted off and when I opened my eyes, William was saying, "Where does it say a green kangeroo jumped on the policeman, Daddy?"

J does it too. I sometimes climb into bed, and she will murmer something like: "Don't forget to put the cat in the washing machine and grill Matthew's trousers tomorrow."

MAD!!

So the answer to your question, MMJ, do I need to see a man in a white coat?

securespark said:
There were three in the bed and the little one said

Sdo off, Daddy!!

Yes, Rowan is in bed feeding as we speak, and I get a sliver of mattress enough to place one of Kate Moss's buttocks on.

Now, I've lost 2 stone recently, but still can't get into bed in this situation, so I've set up a single bed in the nursery, as Julie is adamant Rowan will sleep in our room (for "room", read "bed"!) until he is 6m old......so I'll blo*dy well have his soding room!!

She looks at me all doe-eyed and says,

"This is the last time we'll have a little baby in our bed, let's enjoy it"

Excuse me? "Let's enjoy it?" You mean "Let me enjoy it", surely??

Nah, not bitter. You're right. Sleep deprived.......

It's so bad that when I get home, I go up and if it's bath night, I fall asleep while bathing the kids, and if it's not bath night, I fall asleep reading William a story, sometimes, reverting to that crazy gobbledegook people sometimes utter in a half-asleep way.

Once, I was reading his book, drifted off and when I opened my eyes, William was saying, "Where does it say a green kangeroo jumped on the policeman, Daddy?"

J does it too. I sometimes climb into bed, and she will murmer something like: "Don't forget to put the cat in the washing machine and grill Matthew's trousers tomorrow."

MAD!!

So the answer to your question, MMJ, do I need to see a man in a white coat?

Play your cards right and this is it for 6, yes SIX years. Boy am I glad I work away from home

Scoby_Beasley said:
Play your cards right and this is it for 6, yes SIX years. Boy am I glad I work away from home

Tell the child that if they don't stop climbing into your bed at night you will tell everyone at their school. It worked for my parents with my brother! :LOL: It is amazing how a child will believe pretty much anything their parents or older siblings tell them. I suppose innocence is an evolutionary product that allows a parent to pass on knowledge and experience with none of the debating and thinking that hampers us as adults.

The thing that really annoys me about argos is the way they let you reserve stuff online and then want to charge you a different price when you get to the shop.

I reserved a star wars toy for my lad £28.99 online , went to collect it to be told it was £47.99 and I couldn't have it for £28.99 despite me having a printout of my order :rolleyes:

They quoted a clause that says "the price you pay is the price instore on the day you collect"

What is the point in letting you reserve it if they won't honour the reservation when you make the journey to collect it.

I ordered it online and it came in 2 days at a cost of £28.99 + £4 post :p

I had that with PC World once. Their website had a load of CD-Rs for a really cheap price, so I nipped down to their store, grabbed a pack and went to the check-out only to be told my £14.99 CD-Rs were £29.99. In a confused state I explained to them that their website disagreed, but they pointed out that their company is another one which reserves the right to charge different prices on the web and in store.

I know that the running costs of the shop are much greater, but seeing as I didn't actually require the services of any of their trained chimps/employees, and I didn't admire any of their displays/piles of boxes, I don't see why I should have been requested to pay for them ;)

There is a well-known internet-based retailer of computer parts, based in Luton, that I have visited a couple of times in the last weeks. They have a smallish shop (80 square metres or so), and charge the same price as their website (obviously minus delivery!). The best thing is, they have a 42" plasma hooked up to a games PC which you can play on whilst they select your purchases from the warehouse! I played a driving game on it on Friday, the screen was so big I began to feel motion sickness! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back