Ariston boiler filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an ariston CLAS HE combi boiler, and I noticed every now and then when using the hot water from the kitchen or bath taps small pieces of dirt or flakes of something come out (it looks organic like a tiny piece of a rotting leaf or something similiar).

I believe there was road works outside in the street by thames water recently, but since then I've ran the taps for at least 100 hours.

My two questions are:

1) is there some kind of filter in these kinds of boilers that would trap any debris coming in from the mains supply

2) does the water chamber in the boiler allow heavier than water debris to collect on the bottom?

Thanks,
Bob

edit: doh, wrong forum.. sorry admins, please move to plumbing/central heating.

Sponsored Links
I think there is a flow restrictor which would tend to trap debris and could become clogged to the point where the flow is reduced.

There is no settlement point.

This is a common problem and by chance I went to something similar this evening.

Its technically the responsibility of the water co but they are usually evasive unless you use very heavy legal threats which you are prepared to carry on with.

Run the bath cold tap through a nylon stocking to trap some of the debris and retain it as evidence.

One of my customers had a problem with sand in his supply following mains replacement. He was not argumentative enough and ended up putting in a new supply from the street costing £2300. I got about half a teacup of sand from running the bath tap for 20 minutes.

Tony

I don't understand why the problem is restricted to hot water.

If the contamination was coming from the mains the sediment (or whatever) would appear in cold water too.

Are you sure there is not cross contamination going on from the heating circuit? Those flakes sound suspicious..........

Sponsored Links
simond,

I can run the cold water for an hour at full throttle and it will be crystal clear, do the same for hot water and 2 or 3 tiny flakes will appear in the sink.

I'm certain there is no contamination from the mains *now*, but I think there was recently and some of that is still stuck in the boiler somewhere.

I have someone coming to check the boiler this week, hopefully this will be put to rest soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back