Filters for combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

We recently had our boiler serviced, and the engineer recommended that we get a magnetic sludge filter fitted (Magnatec or similar). The boiler already has a filter of some kind fitted to the cold water intake - pic attached. I'm not sure what this is, but I have a feeling it's for limescale, not sludge. We live in a very hard water area.

20180706_115425.jpg

Can anyone identify the filter (or whatever it is) in the pic, and / or advise regarding whether a Magnatec filter would do something different?

The boiler is a Glow-Worm Flexicom 30 CX, about eight years old.

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks

James.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's a shock arrestor. It may have been fitted because you have a deadleg somewhere in the pipework, and when a cold tap was turned off, it was fooling the boiler into thinking there was hot water demand and firing up momentarily.

You need to fit a magnetic filter to the large return pipe on right side of boiler to filter out rust particles from inside the rads as the system's water returns to the boiler. This will mean that the filter will stop the rust from entering boiler and causing damage. This damage can reduce the life of your boiler. Engineer probably found sludge/rust particles when examining boiler. All of this is nothing to do with the water that goes through boiler to hot taps.

I always fit Magnaclean Professional 2. https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/adey-magnaclean-professional-2-filter-22mm

Last edited:
We recently had our boiler serviced, and the engineer recommended that we get a magnetic sludge filter fitted (Magnatec or similar).
doubt it was an actual engineer,more of a technician and hopefully not a sales person.

did the inspecting person find a fault which would be rectified by fitting an additional unit :?:

Sponsored Links
old and twisty....another who moans about the engineer /technician definition...its always got right on my tits...ohhh...only science graduates and fully paid up members of some old gits institute can call themselves "engineer" otherwise you are unworthy scum with dirty hands and no clipboard...

old and twisty....another who moans about the engineer /technician defintion...its always got right on my tits...ohhh...only science graduates and fully paid up members of some old gits institute can call themselves "engineer" otherwise you are unworthy scum with dirty hands and no clipboard...
"Now where did i put those vernier calipers so i can measure my superiority again"

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Not wishing to get into the engineer vs. technician debate - the boiler was serviced by a Gas Safe registered person. He didn't find any specific fault but advised that fitting a magnetic filter should prevent the life of the boiler being shortened by build-up of rust and sludge, as ReganAndCarter said.

I think it makes sense to go ahead and get it fitted.

Thanks again for all the advice.

I always fit filters on new systems and advise on older systems, it down to the customer if they want to go ahead , I give them a price and leave it as that

Lot of customers think it’s a good idea when they see them working

Magnetic filters are a fairly new thing. My prievous central heating system did not have one and there was no noticeable sludge build up in the 22 years I lived there. It did Fernox in though.

Is rust (iron oxide) magnetic anyway?

EDIT. Just Googled it. Rust is NOT magnetic. Seems we are being taken for a ride (once again).

Magnetic filters are a fairly new thing. My prievous central heating system did not have one and there was no noticeable sludge build up in the 22 years I lived there. It did Fernox in though.

EDIT. Just Googled it. Rust is NOT magnetic. Seems we are being taken for a ride (once again).
Maybe you should regoogle it.Rust is not a pure substance,different variations take to a magnet more strongly than others...What ever you wish to call it, a magnet takes a lot of shy...e out of a dirty central heating system

Rust is only a coating that attaches itself to iron oxide. It's the iron oxide that is ferric and magnetic.

Anyway, Magnacleans have a compartment in the bottom that attracts non-magnetic debris. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back