Should I fit a mains filter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've just had to clean out the filter in my toilet cistern float valve and in the washing machine inlet. We seem to be getting a lot of limescale and other stuff coming through the pipes and I am concerned about potential damage it may cause (apart from the reduced flow rate). I have a combi boiler which is protected with an Aqua-Dial unit but this only protects the boiler and hot water supply.

Should I fit a filter/strainer to the mains supply? Should I fit a magnetic or other condition to the mains supply? I would fit these after the stop cock and install a secondary stop cock above then to isolate for maintenance. Is this a good idea, any recommendations on what to fit?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Read here

Those filters £20-30 do show results at first i.e all the scale started coming away from my kettle but I couldn't be sure how long it continued to work.

For that money you can buy one and post back your findings. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back