Ariston Combi Boiller 23 MFFI .

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Are you related to Dr Spock? I'm sure you knew what I meant. I thought it was illegal to even take the boiler cover off over here.
Yes, I'm sorry about that. I had forgotten the OP was Portuguese.

Dare I say Dr.Spock was a paediatrician. Mr.Spock was in Star Trek. :LOL:

You can do what you like to your OWN boiler in YOUR house
Is that correct? Thought you wasn't allowed to touch a boiler unless you had the required testing eqpt and a certificate to prove you knew how to use it?

Is that correct? Thought you wasn't allowed to touch a boiler unless you had the required testing eqpt and a certificate to prove you knew how to use it?
If you are doing work for reward, then you do need to be proved competent , and leave a record of what you did. At home, if you feel competent, you can work on it, but how can you be competent without knowledge and test equipment ?

Talking of being pedantic, Leonard Nimoy played Mr Spock, Dr Spock was a pediatrician .
giphy.gif

Ikr, See EFL's post!

At home, if you feel competent, you can work on it, but how can you be competent without knowledge and test equipment ?
I'm not sure you're right, you could maybe blow your house up which could well kill or mame people nearby. BTW I haven't stated anywhere you could or should attempt to fix your own boiler regardless of who lives with you.

I'm not sure you're right, you could maybe blow your house up which could well kill or mame people nearby. BTW I haven't stated anywhere you could or should attempt to fix your own boiler regardless of who lives with you.
You can work on your appliances, if you deem yourself to be competent, many people do, and nothing bad happens, except maybe you fit a pricey PCB (always the PCB,innit), and it still doesn't work. The thing is, how many would risk it if they thought someone could die as a result of it?, fine if you're in a detached house on your own, but in a flat, or house with family or neighbours who could be put at risk, you would have to be very sure of yourself or thick and heartless.Not inferring you said anything about attempting your own repairs, I was answering a query of yours.

You can work on your appliances, if you deem yourself to be competent
Isn't that like just change the pump for instance but not anything that would or could interfere with the gas? Not sure about gas fires maybe the regs are different, idk, or you might?.

Isn't that like just change the pump for instance but not anything that would or could interfere with the gas? Not sure about gas fires maybe the regs are different, idk, or you might?.
Anyone with any brain would not work on gas/gas appliances if they had no knowledge, you sound like you wouldn't attempt it, as you can see the risks, but many don't see risks, just pound signs. Pumps, motorized valves etc, as long as they are not within the boiler, then anyone can work on them, own home or as a paying job (except on unvented cylinders, they have their own regulations), and even in your own home, it is not illegal if it is in the boiler combustion chamber. Gas safe registered engineers can only do paid work for categories they have been tested on and been certified as competent, some just do core safety and central heating, so they couldn't do paid work on gas fires or cookers, though would be more competent (you would think) than an unregistered home owner on most gas aspects.Getting registered is not that difficult, which is one of the problems, if you pass the test, you are deemed competent and off you go. People pass driving tests and are deemed competent, but we all know that some just got lucky on the day, same with gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back