Ariston cylinder with little pressure & water hammer pro

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

thanks for reading this post.

Kit installed:
Ariston Unvented Cylinder & Valliant system boiler

I'm having 2 issues; water hammer and low pressure problem.

Background information
Since purchasing our home, we fitted a megaflo system + new boiler and moved this to the loft. A 25mm MDPE (blue) pipe mains fed into the house, then a 22mm copper pipe takes this to the loft.

there is a pressure bar on the cylinder which reads 6 bar but drops to less than 1 bar when water is opened at one point only.

Issues:
1. Water Hammer
when water is opened say after along unused period (mornings this always happens), there is water hammer - hammering noise in the pipes in the loft. Water has to be shut, then little opened before opening full.

Pressure is a lot at this time - a gush of water but as the water hammer goes away, reduced water pressure.

2 General water pressure.
Generally pressue is lower than what I have experienced at another house with the same system - in a different area. When another tap is opened or toilet flushed, shower pressure drops considerably... still possible to have shower though.

When hot water is opened elsewhere, shower hot water is affected and more cold comes out.
My very next door neighbour has same system with same pressure problem except the water hammer part.

Solution
Now my other side next door neighbour did a renovation, his contractor brought in a mega flow cylinder. They too had the same problem. His installer said the mains pressure is low... forgot the number but x litres per min was coming in from the mains which is low.

What he did was put in a tank in the loft and thereafter a 3 bar negative pump after that to feed into the cylinder. The did put a 25mm MDPE pipe for their mains before this.

My question is whether the above is a good solution + would I get rid of the water hammer. It is quite loud in the morning and very audible as im an early starter.

If pump is best, where is the best place to source a negative head single 3 bar pump?

thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back