Ariston MicroGenus 23 MFFI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Need abit of advice.
However before I start, let me put lay some context first.
Me and my partner with 1 child live in a semi detached and work 5 days a week with daughter at school.
We have the above boiler serviced yearly and have it running on a timer for CH. An hour in the morning (half an hour before we wake up), an hour in the afternoon (half an hour before we return) and an hour in the evening (half an hour before bed). We don't use the gas cooker during the week (only on Saturdays) as we grill our food in an electric oven. We also have a gas fire in the lounge which we occasionally use when heating is not on and we feel we could do with abit of heat.
Now, what I've noticed is when we use the cooker hob or the gas fire in the lounge our G4 metric meter runs slowly and steadily. However when we use the CH the meter runs faster than the above and even faster when we use hot water alongside it.
Is this normal for this boiler?
In addition to this, according to ofgem the average household gas usage for a medium family is around 13,000KWh however we have used 22000 over the year (start read and end read).
What puzzles me is that we don't use as much as the average family as we're never in and as we both work term time in schools during half term my daughter and partner go up north to their parents for a few days (they're from Yorkshire!) and I myself spend most of the days at my parents therefore heating is usually switched off during this time as no one is at home.
I've asked colleagues how much they use on average on a day and I've been told around 2-4 units (I know everyone's situation is different and there's other variables to consider) however we used 131 units over the last month already including the Easter half term.
What I am asking is, is there some issue with my boiler and what could it be? It's been like this for a few years and it's only now that I've actually bothered to pay attention. Despite having it recently serviced by BG we have had new double glazing installed around the whole house, so in theory it' should be less.?
I have the water and heating knobs on 2 on the boiler and my TRVs are on 4 (3 in the rooms that are less occupied)
I'm out of ideas and really don't want to shell out for a new boiler but I would really like to know if that is the only solution as currently I'm in the process of making changes to the whole house so cannot afford one right now.
If there is any information that you need me to provide, pls advise and I will do my best.
I am considering a flush but I did bleed my radiators to check water colour and it is clean, so not sure if draining them after adding a sludge remover and topping up with inhibitor would help my issue.
Please advise

Sponsored Links
First port of call is a proper service. Often a service is justflue gas analysis

Next I would suggest a programmable room thermostat be installed. If you can afford it, suggest Honeywell Evohome to give you better control of room heating times

First port of call is a proper service. Often a service is justflue gas analysis

Next I would suggest a programmable room thermostat be installed. If you can afford it, suggest Honeywell Evohome to give you better control of room heating times
So the homecare I have with BG isn't a proper service? If it ain't, I'm rethinking why I'm paying them!
Where do I get a proper service from?
I was looking at the Hive as an option but would this actually work for my issue?

what I've noticed is when we use the cooker hob or the gas fire in the lounge our G4 metric meter runs slowly and steadily. However when we use the CH the meter runs faster than the above and even faster when we use hot water alongside it.
Is this normal for this boiler?
thats normal
I have the water and heating knobs on 2
turn it up:)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
thats normal

Even thought my gas usage is above average for a below average family?
Should I replace the boiler for a A rated one?

turn it up
The water and ch are both quite hot anyway, out of curiosity other than the obvious what difference would this make?

Assuming the above is not a wind up:

1. Of course the meter runs faster when you've got the boiler on - you're using more gas.
2. The meter reads in cubic metres or cubic feet of gas, not kilowatt hours. Are you using the right conversion factors to get to 22,000 KwH?
3. How do the readings you have taken compare with the gas supplier's figures on your bills for the period.
4. If you have a fairly old boiler, its likely to be about 60% efficient, compared with over 90% for a more modern one. However, given your lifestyle, its not likely to be this that is the problem.
5. Cleaning the system isn't likely to make much difference.

A photograph of the meter showing whether its cubic metre or cubic feet would help, together with the readings you took at the start and end of your test year.

Assuming the above is not a wind up:

1. Of course the meter runs faster when you've got the boiler on - you're using more gas.

I understand, however i wasn't sure if it should run that fast if it's the only thing using the gas.

2. The meter reads in cubic metres or cubic feet of gas, not kilowatt hours. Are you using the right conversion factors to get to 22,000 KwH?

Yes

3. How do the readings you have taken compare with the gas supplier's figures on your bills for the period.

Used the original meter readings taken by myself and provided to supplier

4. If you have a fairly old boiler, its likely to be about 60% efficient, compared with over 90% for a more modern one. However, given your lifestyle, its not likely to be this that is the problem.

A newer boiler?

5. Cleaning the system isn't likely to make much difference.

A photograph of the meter showing whether its cubic metre or cubic feet would help, together with the readings you took at the start and end of your test year.

It's a M3 (metric meter) and the readings are:
5th April 2016: 32411
28th March 2017: 34627

I don't have the pics however these are off my statement and they are customer read.
Thanks

your boiler is over 90% efficient, so if it is working OK you are unlikely to recoup the cost of fitting a new boiler, a proper service would be a good idea, unfortunately your BG "service" is simply a flue gas analysis and not a service

I just took the reading from the manufacturers instructions, even if it is D rated a new boiler is unlikely to pay for itself with such little usage
Thanks but I still don't have an answer as to why the usage is so high.
So close to scraping the thing and investing in a condensing boiler

Make sure your not being billed on an old imperial meter reading, the gas suppliers info isint always up to date so they may have you down as having a dial meter, if that's the case when you give the readings of your digital meter they use a conversion factor which triples your consumption, worth checking out as your use seems high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back