Ariston Microgenus 31 - Short Cycling - Diverter Valve Repair - Stuck Cartridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to solve a short-cycling DHW problem on my Microgenus II 31 MFI (NON HE).

I had a spare pump so I changed that first - no difference.

I then noticed that the bypass pipe was getting super hot so decided that it was likely that the original 18 year old secondary/plate heat exchanger must be clogged/scaled and ordered a replacement. Fitted the new one but it didn't change anything.

That leaves me with the diverter valve. I noticed it was weeping slightly out of the top so needs changing anyway. I only replaced this one in Feb 2020 so it hasn't lasted well - possibly as it was a £15 eBay repair kit - the same as I ordered to fix it with.

Anyway, I've come to remove the cartridge and it is stuck fast. I was using my large adjustable spanner as the head of the cartridge didn't look suitable for a socket set, and anyway my largest socket is 27mm and was too small.

I debated whether to go and buy a socket that would fit, but decided to try again with the spanner. More fool me. I steadily applied pressure and felt what I thought was the cartridge beginning to move. It wasn't - the soft brass cap was shearing at the top. I stopped as soon as I realised this and so it is still water-tight.

I refilled and tested the boiler in DHW - still works as the valve defaults to DHW (although still short-cycling obviously). Because the cartridge top is now oval, I can't get the actuator on so I won't have CH until this is resolved, but can afford to wait as clearly I don't need CH right now.

What is the best way to proceed with this? As the cap is now warped, I've got no chance with a socket. Would push lock/water pump pliers be better?

Also, I did this while the valve assembly was hot. Would it come off more easily when cold? Finally, can I apply grease to the threads on the new one to help prevent future sticking or would that affect the water-tightness?

Thanks for any tips - pic of valve below...

1689848836675.png

Sponsored Links
I wouldn’t bother with a socket, but grips might work. It looks similar to one’s fitted to other boilers, so there should be a nut at the bottom, which can be undone. Also using some silicon spray or crack it should help. Doing hot could have expanded, but we apply heat to get stuck things free.

never had a problem removing one, they are used on many boilers as @CBW says, I always use grips

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back