Armoured cable and earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the normal cable to bring in the Earth to the Consumer Unit?

The reason I ask is I've just moved into an old house and the previous owner was in the trade and seems to have done a few dodgy things to the house generally. In particular, he's moved the meter across the basement himself (which I understand should have been done by the electricity company).

So between the service fuse and the meter he's put in 2-core armoured cable 25mm, with a separate 10mm green/yellow cable for the earth (from the supply cable to the Consumer Unit). Does this sound like it's to the electricity company spec or not? I'm worried about the earth being separate.

Sponsored Links
I'm worried about the earth being separate.
The earth being separate is not an issue. The size of it might be.

The real problem is the illegal moving of the meter by the previous owner - you need to contact your electricity supplier so they can arrange for this to be put back where it should be.

If you leave it, they will eventually find out, and there may be unwanted and expensive consequences when they do. Tell them now, as you have only just moved in so it will be obvious it wasn't you tampering with their equipment.

Thanks flameport. Do they keep logs of this sort of thing? Do they really have a record of everyone in the country's house's meter position?

Sponsored Links
Probably not, but they can tell the difference between a meter move done by them and one done by someone else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back