Armoured Cable - What Size for 80' run??

With a correction factor of 0.94 I get volts just within limits at 50 meters 6.6 volts using 10mm cable when using a 32A supply.
What figure are you correcting with that correction factor? Whatever, I think we are all agreed that 10mm² would be just about OK - even if we take the 3% limit for lighting fairly seriously (in my house {as probably in most others in the UK}, a 3% VD would still result in the light being supplied with a voltage well above the 'nominal' supply voltage!).
I have many times questioned using a 32A supply in a house to feed a 32A plus a 6A MCB in a garage as in theory the house MCB will trip first. Yet feeding with a 32A MCB to a garage consumer unit with 2 x 16A and 1 x 6A MCB I would consider OK even if garage had 4 x 16A I would still consider it to be OK.
I think there's an awful lot of wishful thinking in all that in relation to the degree of discrimination you're likely to achieve - certainly as far as faults are concerned!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I need to run an armoured cable from our electric supply to our new garage build. It sits around 80 feet from the house, and I will be using power tools etc in the garage.

What size of cable would I need to cover an 80 foot run?
Who do you think will be signing this declaration:

I being the person responsible for the design of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2011 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

because if you have to ask the questions you are asking, it clearly can't be you.

... new garage build.
When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say, or by default accept, would be the way you would ensure compliance with Part P?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back