Artex advice needed ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm gonna artex the ceiling in my spare room.
Can anyone offer any pointers or tips, tools needed etc as I've never
artexed before. Everyone I've spoke to it about it seems
to think its a straight forward enough job.
Any help gratefully received :)

Sponsored Links
Hi There,

Since you are a first time artexer I am assuming you will attempting a simple brush pattern and not a combing pattern ? I have done loads of ceilings with variety of brush and combing patterns. The best advice I can offer if you are realy keen to give it a go is as follows:

Obviously fill/level any cracked areas - obviously if it a new plasterboard ceiling the joints must be taped and caulked first. I always use artex (thick mixture) to fill cracks and use paper jointing paper to cover joints.

Once ceiling is ready to be patterned (if you need any further advice on preparing it let me know), I always give it a coat of White EggShell Paint ( available from most DIY shops) as this provides a nice oil based surface which gives you loads of time to get you artex on the ceiling and patterned without worrying about the edges drying out !

Give this 24hrs to dry and then go for it ! If you go wrong you can simply scrape it of the iled ceiling surface and correct yourself !!! THe simplest pattern is called broken swirl - dead easy. Youw ill need to get a cheap patternin brush (make sure it has flexible bristles, rather than the rgid plastic ones - not advised for first timer).

Mix the artex up by placing a quantity of it in bucket and GRADUALLY add water until you have the consistency of double cream. Best results are achieved with mixing blade in drill - takes all the hard work of it. Once mixed leave it to stand for 10 minutes and then go for it. Starting in a corner of the room apply a good thickness of artex to ceiling using large brush (again can use a trowel if you feel confident) covering about a square metre - take patterning brush and apply a little artex to it from bucket and then lightly move it through the gear on the ceiling to achieve you're desired pattern. It is your first time so just play - as I say don't panic the oiled surface with give you bags of time to practice - when your happy continue completing about 1 square metre until complete.

Good Luck - it will be messy but will be very satisfying when you have completed it. Need any further advice just shout.

PMcC

Cheers for the advice PMcC, I found it very useful.
How easy is the broken swirl pattern? Looks quite tricky.
Any advice?

Try a difference sample on a old plasterboard or sheet to practise.

Sponsored Links
No worries :)

Regarding Broken Swirl, once artex is on ceiling (and a little is on brush) simply lightly place the brush on the surface and move your wrist to create a semi-circle, then move in a figure of eight to create a series of broken swirls. Aftter each motion slightly lift brush of surface and move to next position. Does this make any sense ? As I say have a go but prepare surface first .

any advice on how to achieve a "broken leather" effect,we have two 1M square sections that require repair.i spoke to a company & they said you roll a plastic bag over the surface-this created a mess to say the least!! TIA for any help ;)

Depending how your one was done,I have seen it done this way......

1.Plastic sheet onto the roller
2.Sponge inside a plastic bag
3.Using plaster trowel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back