Artex and asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -I live in 1960's house and renovating my kitchen.

I started removing the artex covering on the cieling and have since found that it could contain asbestos.

I have removed about 3 sq meters at the moment and have another 10 to do. Should I continue or stop and seal it in and board over?

Would appreciate peolpes views

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As you've already started and there's a possibilty of exposure you really do need to establish whether you have asbestos in the tiles before you do anything else. Get somebody in for a professional opinion. I'm no expert on it but from some recent reading it's a problem when it's gone airbourne and then inhaled. Different types are different levels of hazard depending on their physical form and level of disturbance.

And in case it is asbestos and a hazard don't even use a domestic vacuum cleaner to hoover it up as some forms of asbestos dust will pass through the bag & HEPA filters apparently.

If the artex is as old as you suspect it will almost definately contain asbestos. Get an expert in a quick visual scan doesn't suffice as the particles can be easily confused with vermiculite another fashionable item at the time. You have now disturbed it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back