artex ceiling - replace or plaster over?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a downstairs front room to refurb. the ceiling was artexed around 2000 so sure there is no asbestos.

I have a skip already, so the question is if it were your house, is it better to just overboard and skim / bonding and skim / take it down and plasterboard and skim ?

If to be taken down, do people normally stick in acoustic insulating material between floors? (bedroom above)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the ceiling and the artex is sound (no cracks and artex well bonded), knock off any high spots in the artex, roller on some PVA over the artex, then put bonding coat onto the artex ceiling while the PVA is still wet/tacky. Once the bonding coat has more or less set, (hour and half, 2 hours,, ish), then skim onto it with a couple of coats of multi finish. Plain sailing for a plasterer.

Here's a tip:
Add a drop of red food colouring into the white PVA, to turn it pink, then you will be able to see it better on a white background. I do it that way all the time.

If the ceiling and the artex is sound (no cracks and artex well bonded)

It is sound - the only think I should have mentioned is I can see where the chimney breast was, that the ceiling dips up, from where I can assume they used plasterboard and didn't get the thickness to match the old lath / plaster ceiling..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back