Artex on ceiling...whats the options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys (And Gals).
My son hasjust bought a 50's house where the kitchen ceiling is heavily daubed with Artex...and looks bloody awful!!.
I want to skim this flat but its about 20mm thick in places.
Whats your advice on this?.
I was (am) tempted to just plaster board over it on battons.....any other idea's?.....maybe even how to remove the Artex easily.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm sure a pro will be along soon....
In the meantime.....

I believe older artex (as in your son's) at 1950s is possible to have asbestos in it, so may need to careful making any dust/ripping boards down.

There is a good recent post (or a few) concerning artex ceilings e.g.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=186537

20mm seems a bit thick!
I would imagine the easiest is to plaster over, if you don't mind losing the 20mm already. Overboarding will I guess make you lose height and even more so if you are thinking of new battens rather than finding the joists already there under the plasterboard/artex.

You can skim over artex without any problem after some prep, (knocking off high spots etc,) but you must be careful in case it contains asbestos. There is no "easy" way to totally remove it. If it's really as bad and rough/deep as you say,, i'd go for battens and re-boarding/taping, by far the best option, and very little mess.

Roughcaster.

agree with RC and newbie

if in doubt about asbestos, which i would be with a property from back then, the easiest/safest option is to overboard it and skim that, trying to dub out 20mm before skimming is a lot of extra weight to stick onto the ceiling and my bring the artex off anyway, you MIGHT be able to get away with not using battens and screwing into existing joists if you can find them and you don't think the artex will result in uneven boards.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back