Artex or woodchip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Can anyone help identify this ceiling? Want to plaster over it but one builder has said it's woodchip paper so needs boarding first and another says it's artex and can player straight on. Here some photos. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Photo's ?

If it's Woodchip you get it off with a steam wallpaper stripper... But it could be hiding a multitude of cracks and holes and other sins...

If it's artex then it really is a multitude of sins...

What do you actually want to do with the ceiling?

Photo's ?

If it's Woodchip you get it off with a steam wallpaper stripper... But it could be hiding a multitude of cracks and holes and other sins...

If it's artex then it really is a multitude of sins...

What do you actually want to do with the ceiling?

Hi are the photos not showing? I can see them? Just want the ceiling plastered

Can see the pictures now.

Umm... Looks like it could be 'Stippled' Artex but also the ceiling looks to be rough. Do youknow if the base is 'Lath & Plaster' or plasterboard? If it's the former then you could plaster board over with plenty of fixings into the joists; if it's the latter then you may get away with adding more fixings if you can find the line of the original fixings, otherwise it just be worthwhile putting new plaster boards up anyway.

Sponsored Links
It's not woodchip, it's a textured coating of some kind, just be aware that some like early Artex type coatings contain asbestos.

Looks to be in poor shape to plaster over, really the proper solution is get it tested so you know what it is then decide, if it is asbestos free try stripping with a steam stripper, (you may find the ceiling needs lining) I had similar in my hall and landing tested clear and came off really easy with a steamer. In a previous house I had stupidly used pollytex in a kitchen, total nightmare to clean I had it over boarded and skimmed, which was quick and did not involve too much disturbance. Only thing that worries me is when people skim or board over asbestos and the next guy along starts drilling downlighter holes everywhere totally unaware of the risk.

Definitely not woodchip and looks like poorly stippled Artex.
As mentioned, those cracks/bumps make it look as though the actual ceiling substrate is in poor condition. The weight of the plaster on top could cause it to loosen more and fall down.
Although not for the correct reason, the builder that said to over-board it would be the way to go for me. The new boards will strengthen the ceiling and give a much nicer surface to work with.

It's stippled artex, and they may have put it up to try and cover a poor ceiling, so unless you're going to try and steack or scrape it off, then I'd overboard and skip it. can you get at the ceiling from above, and drill though alongside 2 adjacent joists, and that'll give you the joist spacings.

one builder has said it's woodchip paper so needs boarding first and another says it's artex and can player straight on.

Not wanting to malign anyone but...

How the hell did someone think that it was woodchip?

How the hell can you just plaster over a surface that is blistering?

Sorry, but I think you need to talk to a third plasterer.

Personally I would recommend the overboard option but it is more expensive and you may need to replace the cornice (if you have any).

Plastering over stippled finishes can be fine but you have irregular cracks in yours which makes me think it might be a lath and plaster ceiling that is near end of life anyway. New plasterboard, screwed into the joists will prevent if form falling down of its own accord in 20(?) years.

20180413_081851.jpg 20180413_081942.jpg
Hi, please can someone advise whether my ceilings are artex or wood chip? I'm really concerned about asbestos if artex as I have an electrician installing down lights. The house was built 1964.
Thanks all

Are the last two pictures the same ceiling?
It looks to me like "art" in the left hand one, possibly wood chip in the second.
The first has a sheet border showing - paper would hide that.
If the same ceiling then "artex?"

You can have it tested. Not all ceiling finishes are artex

No they are different rooms, the 1st most clear pic is a bedroom, the other is the bathroom. I will take a better picture of the bathroom. Thank you for your response. Jen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back